-26-

safe

safe

SCARLETT FELT SAFE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HER WHOLE LIFE. She was wrapped in Rick's arms, their legs intertwined. His breathing was even, fanning slightly on her neck as he held her tightly. She let her hand run through his hair slowly. His curls were soft, and she felt him almost purring at the notion.

He had just gotten back from watch, letting Glenn take over until the sun comes up. She woke up when he got back in the bed, and for the moment, she wanted to remember this peace.

He jumped a bit, eyes opening. Nightmare.

Noticing Scarlett's fingers in his hair, he nuzzled into her neck. "Sleep," he murmured, his sleepy voice sounding so sexy.

"I will," she whispered back.

"You're safe," he told her.

"I know," she replied. "Always am with you."

Rick smiled lazily. "Sweet," he murmured before his eyes fell shut again. "Now sleep before I start snorin'."

She chuckled softly, letting her own eyes fall shut after kissing his forehead. She fell asleep almost instantly, feeling secure and safe. Rick's eyes opened again, brushing a piece of her red hair back before snuggling back into her neck.

The next morning, Glenn grinned as Carol served out what they could call breakfast. Everyone was resting in the lobby, waiting for Rick to come out and give them directions. He nudged Maggie. "Scarlett and Rick were alone last night."

Maggie's eyes widened. "She wouldn't!" she whispered back before biting her lip. "Would she? Oh my God."

This caught the attention of Carl.

"What's wrong?"

"Your Daddy and Scarlett were probably getting it on," T-Dog commented lazily as he sipped a cola.

Carl grimaced as Lori snickered at his face. She was still sad about Shane, but she was not going to take it out on Rick and Scarlett. She was the one who said for Rick to go for her... and Rick was still taking care of Lori despite the 'divorce.'

"What does that mean?" Carl asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

Before Lori could answer, Rick walked out of the hallway, buttoning up his shirt with Scarlett following. The redhead was fixing her shirt that was tilted to the side before both paused as they noticed everyone's eyes on them. Some with smirks while others held curious gazes.

"Can I help you?" Rick asked in amusement.

Daryl was using a bone to pick at his teeth, and he tossed it aside with a smirk. "Waitin' on yer orders, Mr. and Mrs. Grimes."

Scarlett's face flushed as Rick chuckled. "Fuck off," he told Daryl teasingly. "I wanna see if there is any more resources. Cars. Anything."

"Sure thing," T-Dog said as he stood. He pointed to Scarlett's neck. "Ah man, looks like the bed bugs got to your neck. Looks like they had a field day."

Scarlett shoved T as the others laughed. She pulled up her sweater she wore, pushing past the doors to go outside. Maggie frowned at her cousin's retreating figure.

"Go easy on her," Hershel said to them. "She's new to this."

"I got her," Maggie murmured, following Scarlett out.

Scarlett sat in her truck bed, rolling her eyes at a walker next to her truck. He was trying to get to her, but he was just running into the truck over and over. Idiot.

"Scarlett," Maggie scolded, putting her knife through the walker's head. Getting onto the truck, she rose an eyebrow at her cousin. "Scar, what is it?"

"Dunno," she muttered back, keeping her gaze forward.

"Talk to me. They were just messin' with you. No one meant any harm," she promised.

"I know."

"Then, what is it?"

"Just haven't done this before. Don' know what I'm 'posed to do or how to act. Then, there's Lori. God, she just lost Shane. Carl might hate me, and y'all just actin' like it's nothin'! I mean, I wanted to talk to Carl 'bout it first. Wanted to talk to Lori. I like 'im. I really do, but I'm scared. I don' trust easy, and I trust 'im, but this world is crazy..."

"It always was," Maggie whispered, never hearing her cousin speak so much before. "Crazy, I mean. You just were in your own head, not listenin' to the crazy 'til it was on your doorstep."

Scarlett just hummed.

"As for Carl and Lori, well, I understand why you would want to talk to them first. Lori already blessed Rick to date you, if you were worried 'bout that. As for Carl, the kid fuckin' loves you. You couldn't upset that kid if you tried. You're just overthinking. I get it. It's new. You're letting yourself heal finally, and I'm so proud of you. So so proud," Maggie said, grabbing her hand. Scarlett leaned her head to lean on Maggie's.

"Rick's gon' take good care of you. You're never gon' feel scared the way he made you. Not no more, okay?" she told her. Scarlett nodded as a tear left her eye. "Now, I do want to know one thing."

"What?"

"Did you guys have sex?"

Scarlett let a laugh out, shaking her head.

Maggie breathed out in relief. "Oh God, thought I was gon' have to prepare to be an aunty."

Rolling her eyes, Scarlett shoved Maggie. Maggie gaped at her cousin, shoving her back. Scarlett rose a brow at the sudden competition, pushing Maggie once more harder than before and then hauling ass off the truck. Maggie laughed, jumping off and chasing after her.

Both girls' laughter was heard from the motel lobby, and Hershel stood by the door with a gentle smile at his girls. Carl and Sophia soon pushed passed Hershel, wanting to join in on the fun. Rick followed his son but was soon stopped by Hershel.

"I've already spoken to Glenn about Maggie, but I haven't yet to you about Scarlett. My girl... she's broken, Rick. But she's finally healing. You're a good man. She needed a good man, and she found one. Just take care of her," Hershel whispered, letting Rick's arm go as the younger man nodded at Hershel.

"I won't let you down," Rick promised, walking outside to watch them all play, keeping his eye on his girl who was laughing with his boy. "Not a chance," he added even though Hershel could not hear him.