-14-

you did good

you did good

SCARLETT FELT GROSS, BLOOD EVERYWHERE ON HER BODY. She probably looked like she was from some horror movie... maybe even worse than Daryl on a bad day.

Limping, she grabbed a tree in support. Not only did she have a sprained wrist, she felt her ankle twist when she was running away from the herd... it had met up with another small pack, and she was too tired to fight anymore.

She retraced her steps back to the church, glad to see no corpses of the two kids, but now, she had to finish walking to the house. It would take an hour or more depending on how her ankle let her move.

There was a possibility she'd be out until the sun came up, and she hated the fact that her family would be worried. She also knew Carl would be worried, thinking it was his fault if she did not get her shit together and move.

Snarling had her groaning aloud. "Give me a fucking break!" she shouted without meaning to, taking her already soaked knife and slashing the walker.

Continuing her trail back to the farm, she took the shortcut since she did not need to go to the creek to find her way back like the kids did. There were not any sounds that alarmed her in any way, but she felt her head getting woozy from exhaustion and dehydration. She rolled her eyes, wishing she kept her pack, but she knew it was good the kids took it. They would need it if something went wrong.

Her legs were wobbly as her ankle wanted to give out, but she persevered even as the sun started to rise. The Sherrif's hat was doing good in blocking the heat of the sun, but she could feel her back burning. She was only in a tank top since Sophia took her sweater.

I hope my sweater is okay. I liked that one.

It was a breath of fresh air when she saw the farmhouse come into view. She gave a slight smile, knowing she had made it home. She could only hope the kids did, too. Breathing in and out slowly, she kept walking in order to finish her mission. No way would she give up now.

Her eyes focused on Rick's group standing around a car with Carl and Sophia standing with them explaining where Scarlett was at in the woods the last they saw.

Deja vu happened when T-Dog yelled out, "Walker!" and all eyes went to her. She was not an idiot though, unlike Daryl. She rose her arms and called out, "No!" before her ankle rolled again and she fell on the ground. "Ouch."

The Sherrif's hat stayed on her head as she sat up on her ass, massaging her ankle.

Rick was, once again, the first to run toward the woman. Carl and Sophia were next followed by Maggie and the others. Rick made it to her, watching as her blue eyes glanced up at him, glassy as all hell from the pain. Her red hair was wild but sitting under his hat, which made his heart skip a beat. She was covered in grime and filth... blood of who knows how many walkers. He let out a breath of relief, pulling her to him and hugging her whether she liked it or not.

Good thing he felt her small arms shakily wrap around him just as Carl and Sophia ran into the group. They were hugging her as well, the two kids crying because they never thought they would see their guardian angel again.

"Miss Scarlett! You said you were gonna meet us here!" Sophia wailed.

"Look, I'm here," she whispered to her, kissing her forehead before doing the same to Carl. Rick stood up slowly, making the kids back up. He put his arms under her legs, lifting her into a bridal hold. "Rick..." she whispered. "I got blood on your hat."

He chuckled as he walked across the lawn, feeling another sense of deja vu when he ran with Carl in his arms. "Don' worry 'bout it, Scarlett. You saved 'em both. I can wash the hat." He laughed again, feeling a tear leave his eye for an unknown reason. "I can wash the hat," he repeated as he got inside.

Bringing her straight to the bathroom, Maggie was not far behind them. "I can get her washed up, Rick," Maggie said softly. "Go make sure Shane don't bust open the barn."

Rick nodded as he sat her on the closed toilet. Scarlett glanced up at him with fearful eyes. "Did they make it back okay?" she asked softly because she really did not see how they were. Maggie hid her shock of hearing Scarlett speak so openly, sighing softly.

Rick nodded, taking the hat from her head. Her wild red hair fell out, cascading around her bloody frame. "They're okay. All because of you. They're okay."

He looked at Maggie, and gave her a smile. "Thank you."

Maggie smiled back as she approached Scarlett. Crouching down, she hugged her gross frame tightly. "Oh, I was so worried, Scar."

Scarlett let the tears fall finally. For the first time since the start of the virus, she was terrified. She held onto Maggie as if her life depended on it, even making Maggie sit in the shower with her to bathe her because she was just so damn scared. Maggie shushed her softly, not batting an eyelash to getting in the shower fully clothed with her.

When she was out of the shower, wearing a towel to cover herself, Maggie sat her back on the toilet and began to brush her long hair.

"Shhh," Maggie whispered before singing one of her favorite songs from Annette. Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears For Fears, but sang soft and slow the way Maggie did it was how they used to calm her down.

Once she finished brushing her hair, making sure all the blood and tangles were out, she turned her cousin around. They were really like sisters, and neither would be able to live without the other.

"You did good, Scarlett," she whispered, hugging her again. "You can rest."