-100-

epilogue

JUDITH HELD ANNIE'S HAND AS THEY WALKED TOWARD DARYL AND CAROL TALKING

JUDITH HELD ANNIE'S HAND AS THEY WALKED TOWARD DARYL AND CAROL TALKING. Annie wore the Sherrif's hat on her head as she skipped a bit next to Judith. Judith laughed, rolling her eyes at her playful sister.

She noticed Daryl stop talking to Carol when she got closer. She tilted her head at him questionably.

"When yer Mom left to find him, why didn't you tell us then?" he asked, leaning on his bike. Carol bit her lip, running a hand through her short hair. They had never spoke really since Judith accidentally let slip of Scarlett and Rick's whereabouts. They thought Rick was dead.

"She asked me not to," Judith replied. "Asked Carl to look after us. Then, Carl left to find them after Sophia died. I-I couldn't lose anyone else, Uncle Daryl."

Annie's lip quivered as she ran a hand through her own curls that matched Rick's. Judith told Annie everything. They were each other's best friend. Annie missed her Mom more than anything, but she hardly remembered her Daddy. Carl tried to keep them both included on any memory he could remember, but it was getting harder to picture them. Even Judith was losing what Rick sounded like.

"I just don' think you realize what difference the truth would have made," Carol whispered softly, caressing Judith's face softly. She sighed, looking back up at Daryl.

><><

"IT'S NOT THE SAME," CARL TOLD RICK

"IT'S NOT THE SAME," CARL TOLD RICK. The young teen was now an adult. He had his own troubles that he dealt with after Negan. After the Whisperers. He lost Sophia to the Whisperers, and he had never been the same. "A lot of good people... gone."

He found solace in Enid... the girl from Alexandria who Glenn and Maggie had cared for so much. It hurt them both when Carl decided to leave Enid to find his mother and father. He was upset when he left, but he was glad he did as he glanced over at his father's ragged curls and stony expression.

"Nothing ever stays the same," Rick said grimly, stabbing a walker in the head as they walked the dirt road. "I think of the dead all the time. And about the living, who I lost. I think about them all every day. Their faces, what I learned from them, how they made me who I am, so much more than all this made me who I am. All of our lives... we're together, pieces of a whole that just keep going for what we gave each other. One unstoppable life. You showed me that. She did. You both gave me that even when I had nothing."