-42-

stormy weather

stormy weather

ANDREA WAS ALIVE AND WELL, BUT THEY KNEW THAT. It was confirmed when she showed up at the prison, but Rick did not treat her like before. He treated her as if she was the Governor himself, frisking her and demanding a reason for why she would come there.

Her visit was short. She made sure to see everyone, including the children. She even hugged Scarlett, happy to see the girl. Before she left, she made sure they knew the Governor was gearing for war, but she wanted to get them to try and talk it out. Merle and Daryl called bullshit, and so did Michonne. Michonne apparently had been with Andrea all winter, which was another reason Scarlett had to be grateful for the woman in their lives.

Rick agreed to meet if it meant staying away from war, and that was all Andrea needed to leave with a newfound confidence.

The next two days, they heard nothing from the Governor nor Andrea. They went on runs, fixed the fences, and prepared nonetheless. Glenn and Maggie were finally doing better. Glenn's injuries were healed, and Maggie was opening up about the Governor's antics.

Sophia and Carl were allowed on watch duties now, but they normally were short ones. The only way they could do it is by doing at least an hour of schoolwork a day. Both rolled their eyes at Scarlett when she made the deal, but she did not budge. Beth decided to help them when she was not training with Sasha.

Tyreese and Sasha were more help than they realized, giving Rick tips and keeping hopes up again. They finally cleared the walkers in the yard again, and made sure the burial sites were nice and clean. Carl went to the site a lot to talk to his Mother, but Scarlett noticed he was finally going less, which meant he was beginning to accept it. He needed to be strong, and she was glad to see it.

Daryl whistled in Scarlett's tone, gesturing with his head for her to go hunting with him. Merle glanced at the pair with curious eyes from behind the cell.

"Why don' you take me, baby brother? Sure I can kill more than she can," Merle jeered. "Well I guess y'all wanna bump some uglies, aye?"

Daryl ignored him, helping Scarlett over the bench where she was eating lunch. They left together after she kissed Rick's cheek and told him where she was going. She gave Merle a look on her way out.

They walked a ways into the woods, keeping their eyes open for any of the Governors's men while also trying to hunt some meat. Scarlett groaned as the weather grew a bit dark. Above them, dark clouds rolled into the prison's view. She shook her head, thinking they should turn back.

"We'll be quick. Just need some meat tonight. 'em beans only taste good so many ways," Daryl grunted when he saw her concern.

"Creek?" she asked. "We can get some fish?"

Daryl nodded. "You do that, I'll hunt in the same area. Let's go."

They managed about thirty minutes of hunting before the first rain drop hit. Scarlett was knee-deep into the creek, stabbing fish that swam by when she heard Daryl grunt from behind her that they should head back. She turned to look at him, seeing a opossum on his shoulder and a few squirrels tied to him. She looked the same, rather with fish instead all over her. It would do them good to have some meat.

"Vamaños!" he called, turning and beginning to walk back.

She rolled her eyes at him, getting out of the creek and lacing up her boots again. Running to catch up with him, she snorted at the fish flopping everywhere.

"Goddamn, you're loud today," Daryl teased as every step they took made a sound. "Good thing we're done for the day."

Scarlett was about to respond but the rain drops grew harder and they heard a snarl to their right. Daryl aimed his crossbow, shooting the stray walker as he told her they should pick up the pace.

Before he could retrieve the arrow from the walker's skull, more walkers came out of nowehere.

"Shit, c'mon, Red!" Daryl called, turning and running the opposite way of the prison. Scarlett kept up with him, their boots slushing the mud at their feet, almost tripping them when they would slide a bit.

Daryl noticed the herd was gaining on them since they could not move so fast in the rain. He looked up at the nearest tree, seeing a bit of cover. He turned, grabbing Scarlett's hand and shoving her toward the tree. She began to climb, hurrying as fast as she could as she made it to a sturdy branch. Daryl tossed his crossbow up, and she caught it. He climbed after her, kicking a walker in the face when they got ahold of his boot.

Both were breathing heavily as they stared at the herd below. The rain was not as bad where they were sitting because of the tree's cover, but no odds were looking in their favor at the moment.

"Well, maybe you were righ'," Daryl grunted.

Scarlett rolled her eyes. "I have that annoying habit," she sneered. "What do we do?"

"Get comfortable. Least 'till the rain stops," he murmured, closing his eyes as he tried to ignore the walkers below. "It's a quick storm. I can tell."

"Y'know their gon' be worried," she whispered.

"I ain't gon' let no one hurt a hair on yer pretty head, Red. Just calm down and rest for a moment. Can't go anywhere yet," he said, leaning back. "A'ight?"

"Yeah," she whispered back, staring at the herd of walkers below that were clawing at the tree. "I believe ya."