-29-

the prison

the prison

LORI HELD SCARLETT'S HAND AS THE REDHEAD COULD HARDLY WALK. Lori found it amusing almost that they were both incapable of being helpful but both were trying to help as much as they could. Once Scarlett was out of the car, she detached herself from Lori. She shook her head when Lori got closer with a raised brow.

"I won't get sick," Lori told her. "You need help, come on."

Scarlett shook her head, feeling dizzier than normal as she felt her legs become like lead. Falling to her knees, she put her head in her hands.

"Hershel!"

Hershel walked over quickly, eyes glancing to the prison in front of them. They were preparing to clear out the field, but Scarlett was in no shape to do so. Rick rushed over with Hershel, kneeling so he could try and help the redhead stand.

"Stop," Scarlett murmured groggily, pushing off Rick and her uncle. Standing up, she cracked her neck as held onto the door of the car with all of her might. "M'fine. Let's go."

No one could argue with her as she shook her head twice as if to physically clear her head and stepped up to the gate of the prison. Lori, Maggie, Glenn, and T-Dog would draw the walkers away from Rick while he decided to go on the suicide run to lock the gate so no more walkers could pile into the yard. Carl and Hershel were in one tower. Daryl was in another. Carol was in her own. Sophia and Scarlett would open the gate for Rick since he yelled at her that she was in no state to be shooting anything. Scarlett was still pissed off, but she did not argue anymore knowing they needed the yard.

Rick ran inside as the walkers tried to get him. Sophia and Scarlett yelled along with the others to try and get the asshole's attentions. Sophia used her knife and took out a few walkers that got against the gate while Scarlett faced the other way and protected their backs since she could not stand to look if Rick got bit.

She popped a few rounds, again despite being told not to, and of course missed a bunch of shots. However, she did manage to keep them safe just as she heard Carol shout, "He did it!" and Daryl shout, "Light 'em up!"

Scarlett turned, giving Sophia her gun as they opened the gate for the group outside to shoot easier. They were all laughing as all the walkers began falling straight to the ground. Scarlett stayed at the back with her knife raised while the others began to push into the field. She shut the gate, making sure it would hold as a final shot went off from Rick.

They all began shouting in excitement and laughing. Scarlett felt herself smile as Sophia handed her back the gun and she rushed off to hug her mom. Scarlett could feel nausea hit her, but she tried to hide it as everyone hugged each other.

Glenn got a fire started as Daryl skinned some animals. Lori was laying down, letting Sophia plait her hair. Carl was with T-Dog and Maggie trying to move walkers away from where they were going to rest for the night. Carol helped out after making sure Sophia was being looked after.