-75-

we are

we are... the walking dead

DARYL HELPED SCARLETT STAND SO THAT SHE COULD MOVE TOWARD THE SMALL FIRE THEY MADE. The fire was for the dogs they had just killed, and that alone made Scarlett barf up nothing but acid it seemed like. They were rabid dogs, but it hurt no less watching Sasha shoot them mercilessly.

Now, Scarlett had more helpings than the others as they all made sure she was eating first. Scarlett forced it all down, even when it became too much for her shrunken stomach. She kept eating until everything Rick gave her was gone.

Scarlett was happy that one of their worries was gone. For now, they could last. She glanced at the sky, seeing the dark clouds beginning to roll in. She sighed, knowing this would be good for them and bad if they did not find shelter soon.

Everyone was settled after eating, but Rick wanted them to keep moving as he, too, noticed the dark clouds. So, once again, they all stood like mules as they began to walk.

Daryl went off again, and Scarlett tried to go with him, but he denied her fiercely.

She sighed, but she accepted it. He wanted to be alone.

Rick held her hand, something oddly comforting right at that point. He had not done too much PDA since everything went to shit. She knew that was not his priority, but her hormones were out of whack. She was feeling lonely lately despite the large group.

She tightened her hold on his hand, her smile getting bigger when he brought her hand up to his lips and kissed her knuckles gently.

They kept walking.

Eventually, Scarlett noticed something in the road.

"Rick?" she asked softly, letting his hand go as they got their guns armed.

The group surrounding the pile with wide eyes.

Water.

So much fucking water.

And right on top?

Prenatal vitamins.

A paper signed, "From a Friend," was attached.

"Don't touch it," Rick demanded. "Wait for Daryl."

Scarlett saw how everyone eyed the water with a hungry look. Hell, she would love nothing more than to take a whole gallon for herself. It did not work that way.

Someone had been following them. Someone was watching them. They probably were watching them now.

"Rick," Scarlett whispered, clutching her gun. "Do you see anything?"

"Not a one," Rick grumbled as they heard rustling to their left. The group aimed their guns as Daryl appeared from the bushes with a scowl on his face. Before Daryl could comment how this was the umpteenth time they pointed their guns at him, Scarlett moved out of the way so he could see the water and pills.