-19-

the calm before

the calm before

ANOTHER NIGHT PASSED, EVERYONE CRAMPED INSIDE OF THE GREENE FARMHOUSE. Carl and Sophia slept in Scarlett's bed while she slept on the floor. Lori and Shane took Hershel's bed. Daryl and Rick stayed on the top floor to watch over the pregnant woman and kids. The rest of the group were scattered around the house.

It seemed things were going to be okay.

Glenn and T-Dog were preparing another run into town while Shane took some of the group out again for shooting practice. Lori went with him to watch over Carl and Sophia since Carol was helping Hershel with making food.

Scarlett was on watch, sitting on Dale's RV.

Daryl and Rick were trying to reinforce the fence around the farmhouse since Dale's death. She was watching them from afar, smiling at their banter. She could tell they were becoming close friends based off of Rick's laughter.

Maggie walked over to the RV, holding a water bottle in her hand. Tossing it up, Scarlett grinned as she caught it.

"I'm going on the run in town with Glenn and T. Do you need anything, lovey?" she asked with her sweet southern accent.

Scarlett shrugged, not needing anything in particular before an idea popped in her head.

"Nutella," she called softly. Maggie grinned at her with a 'really' look. Scarlett nodded with a child like smile.

"Fine, I'll try to find Nutella," Maggie finished with a laugh.

Rick and Daryl bumped fists as they separated. Scarlett assumed they were taking a break. She rose a brow as Rick began walking toward her.

Letting her legs dangle off the RV, she laughed a bit as Rick tripped on something. He caught himself, but it was still funny to watch.

He gave her a look to hush as he made it to the RV.

"Not funny," he yelled up at her.

"Kinda funny," she called back with a teasing smirk.

"Can I join ya?"

"Sure, Sherrif," she poked causing him to roll his eyes as he climbed the ladder. He sat close to her, but still enough room was given in case she got panicked. She gave him the rest of the water, watching his Adam's apple bounce while he swigged it down. The action made her stomach tingle. He glanced over at her, a small smirk on his lips. He knew what he was doing!

Rick placed the empty bottle behind them as he leaned back on his firm arms. Scarlett felt her face live up to her name as she kept her gaze on those returning from the shooting range. She knew Shane would take over watch after he took a shower. She got confirmation when he gave her a salute before walking into the house.

"This place is so serene," Rick murmured. "So untouched. You're lucky to have been here from the start."

"Luck is one word," she whispered back. "Still don't think it'll last. Worries me."

Rick glanced at her, nudging her shoulder with his own. "Pessimist."

"Realist," she countered, leaning her head on his shoulder on a whim. She felt him tense for a second before he relaxed. "We need to think of winter plans," she added as she watched Maggie, Glenn, and T-Dog leave the farmhouse with Andrea locking the gate behind them.

"Got any ideas?" he asked gruffly, his voice a bit deeper.

"Mmm," she hummed. "No, not really. Not yet."

"We'll think of somethin'," he murmured to her before going against his thoughts and leaning his head on hers. "You're getting better with the talkin'."

"Tryin' to be better," she told him softly. "Can't be 'fraid forever."

Rick hummed in response as they watched Carl and Sophia come outside and kick a soccer ball. Hershel sat on the porch with Patricia, laughing when Sophia kicked the ball so hard Carl had to run far to get it. Jimmy and Beth were rushing toward the stables to do who knows what while Andrea and Lori were helping Carol inside the house.

"Dad! Scarlett! Come play!" Carl shouted at them as Shane walked out of the house freshly showered.

Rick nodded, gesturing for her to get down first. Rick and Shane nodded at each other as they passed, Shane taking watch. Rick and Scarlett walked toward the kids, Scarlett taking the ball from Carl with a laugh.

She grinned even further when Sophia yelled, "Girls versus guys! C'mon Miss Scarlett!"

Scarlett got the ball from Sophia's pass, about to make it into the fake goal when Rick ran to her and tried to steal the ball. They played footsie almost as they tried to fight for the ball. Their feet got tangled together causing both of them to fall, Rick landing on top of her but his arms catching himself. Carl and Sophia guffawed at the action, but Rick could only stare at the beauty under him. Scarlett giggled slightly at their predicament, taking her finger to poke his nose. He scrunched it slightly before pushing himself up, his face flushed.

"That was terrible," Carl called. "Your ball, Soph!"

Scarlett took Rick's hand to stand up, grinning when he squeezed it once. She turned when she saw Daryl sitting outside with a beer in his hand.

"Dar! Come join!" she called, surprising everyone with her loud voice, the playful tone not wavering at all.

Daryl gave her a look as he lifted his beer.

"Please," she pouted with her lip jutted out.

"Might work on Grimes, don' work on me, Red!" he called, taking a swig of his drink.

"Boo!" Sophia called. "Don't be lame, Uncle Daryl!"

Daryl's lips twitched as he stood. "Only if ya Mama plays."

"Mom!" Sophia called as they all laughed. Hershel grinned when Daryl reluctantly walked off the porch, chugging the rest of the beer as Carol came out with a worried look. "Uncle Daryl wants you to play!"

Carol handed Hershel the tea towel she held with a smirk on her lips. "You're on, Dixon."