-70-

rick's promise

rick's promise

ABRAHAM ARGUED THEY NEEDED TO LEAVE TONIGHT IN ORDER TO SAVE EUGENE AND THE CURE. Scarlett was one hundred and twenty-five percent against the idea as she yelled they would not last a day without Daryl. She knew that was a partial lie, as she knew they could, but he was vital member of their family. She was not stepping out of this church without him.

Rick stood by her, and she was proud of him for not letting up until Abraham demanded a deal. They would help deal with group from Terminus tonight, and tomorrow, they would take Maggie, Glenn, and Tara on their journey to D.C. When Daryl and Carol returned, the rest of them would follow.

Scarlett disagreed immediately. She was not separating from Maggie. Not one way or another. She put her foot down.

"Scar," Maggie whispered, though everyone could hear. "I need to do this. We need them to keep Judith safe. Carl. You and the baby. You'll be right behind us."

"I can't lose you again, Mags," she whispered back. "You're all I have left. Uncle Hershel—"

"I know," Maggie cut her off. "He'd be so proud of you. Now, please. Agree. I wouldn't do it if I was not sure."

Eugene did not look at any of them. He shuffled on his feet nervously.

"Okay," Scarlett whispered. She looked at Glenn. "You'll keep her safe?"

"In the vows," he teased, nodding.

"Okay," she said, feeling everyone let out a breath of relief at the word. Rick did what he wanted, but he normally made sure Scarlett was okay with it first. So if she wasn't... Rick wasn't. "Okay. Let's make a plan."

So, Rick and Glenn made the plan against Gareth, making sure Abraham agreed with each part of it. They all nodded, gathering their weapons and supplies. Carl took Judith, who was taking a nap, and brought her into the office where they would hide. Gabriel was already in there, cowering in the corner. Bob's dead body was on the couch, already taken care of by Tyreese. Scarlett decided not to put up a fight, placing her happy ass right next to Judith with her gun out.

Tyreese, Carl, Sophia, Rosita, Eugene, Scarlett, and Judith. Scarlett was worried the plan would fail.

They locked the door, placing the table in front of it. Tyreese had his knife. Carl had his gun. Rosita sat protectively in front of Eugene with her own gun. Scarlett's finger tapped anxiously on the box Judith was asleep in.

They heard when the others left, and not even thirty minutes later, they heard the doors to the church open again.

Scarlett tightened the grip she had on her gun. Next to her, Judith stirred.

"Well, I guess you know we're here. And we know you're here. And we're armed. So there's really no point in hiding anymore. We've been watching you. We know who's here. There's Bob, unless you've put him out of his misery already," Gareth started with a chuckle. "And Eugene. Rosita. Carl. Sophia. Judith. And a very pregnant Scarlett. Don't think I didn't see the chunk missing out of Martin's neck when we found his body. You'd fit in with us." She noticed he did not say Gabriel's name, but she tensed as he brought up something she did not want anyone knowing. She felt Carl's eyes on her. Tyreese's too, but he was looking in pity. He knew it was her only option.

Scarlett stood slowly, trying to not step on a creaky board.

"Rick and the rest walked out with a lot of your guns," Gareth continued. "Listen, we don't know where you all are, but this isn't a big place. So let's just stop this now before things get more painful than they need to be.

"Look, you're behind one of these two doors and we have more than enough firepower to take down both. Can't imagine that's what you all want. How about the priest?"

There it is. She glanced at Gabriel, watching his ears perk up.

"Father, you help us wrap this up, we'll let you walk away from this. Just open the door and you can go. You can take the baby with you. What do you say?"

Scarlett groaned inwardly as Judith began to cry. She turned, not giving two shits about the floorboards as she crouched down.

"Shh, Momma's here," she whispered as she heard Gareth continue talking.

"I don't know. Maybe we'll keep the kid. I'm starting to like this girl. It's your last chance right now to tell us you're coming out," he called. No one moved as Scarlett picked up Judith. She held the baby to her chest as gunshots went off.

Judith cried at the noise, but Scarlett kept her expression blank as she stared at the wall. She heard screams. Slashes from knives. More gunshots.

She did not even wince.

Scarlett noticed Tyreese by the door. He was peaking out, but she did not want to see.

That kind of shit... that shit changes you. Scarlett heard Rick call out something to Gareth about keeping his promise before Gareth's life was over. Glenn shakily called out that it was okay for them to come out. Everyone was checking each other, but Rick was eyeing Scarlett warily as she stepped out of the office holding Judith protectively.

He walked over to her, passing Carl with a relieved smile. He did not waste a second in kissing her. He could tell she felt horrible after Gareth brought up what she did. He could tell she was feeling overly protective and paranoid about Judith. He kissed her twice more before nodding.

"It's over. Come on."