-84-

new constable

new constable

SCARLETT WATCHED AS CARL AVOIDED HER IN THE STREETS. She sighed, knowing she would have to talk to him soon. Rick had went inside to grab them something to drink. They were going to take a walk around Alexandria... get a feel of the place.

She watched Carol leave the house in a nice outfit. She knew Carol's game, and she only wished she could play along. Make everyone think you're one thing while hiding what you could do. She chuckled slightly, walking toward Daryl who sat on the porch yelling that Carol looked ridiculous.

"Have you showered?" Scarlett asked.

"If one of y'all ask me again—"

"Daryl. We're tryin'. You gotta, too."

Daryl nodded. "This is me tryin'," he grunted, putting a new bolt he just made on the ground. "How's Ass-Kicker Two?"

"She's healthy."

"She?"

"Confirmed it," Scarlett hummed with a beaming smile. "Why don't you take a walk with Rick and I?"

"Nah, y'all need it."

"Dar," she groaned. "Maybe I want to walk with ya. Maybe I want to trip you in front of everyone. I got lots of ideas."

Daryl gave her a look, standing up. "You ain't funny, Red."

"I think so," she said with a grin. She opened her mouth to say something else when she heard yelling. Turning, she noticed there was a fight by the gate. When she looked further, she noticed Glenn. "Shit."

Scarlett waddled as fast as she could, glad when Rick and Daryl ran past her to help break it up. Scarlett made it there just as they got Glenn off of Aidan—Deanna's oldest son. Daryl went to help Glenn, getting one round in before Rick pulled them off with Michonne's help.

Deanna rushed over to the scene. Scarlett looked down at Deanna as the tiny woman stood next to her. "Aiden! What is going on?"

Aidan spat blood on the ground. "This guy's got a problem with the way we do things. Why did you let these people in?"

"Because we actually know what we're doing out there," Glenn sneered. Aidan tried to hit him again causing Daryl to raise his weapon.

"Aiden, no! That's enough!" No one backed down. "I said that is enough!"

"Let's not do this now," Rick murmured to Glenn and Daryl.

Aidan nodded as well, saying he was good. Everyone relaxed a bit.

Deanna stepped forward. "I want everyone to hear me, okay. Rick and his people are part of this community now in all ways as equals. Understood? Understood." Everyone around them nodded. "All of you, turn in your weapons. Then you two come talk to me," she told Aidan and Nicholas before looking at Rick. "I told you I had a job for you. I'd like you to be our constable. That's what you were. That's what you are. And you, too," she added, glancing at Michonne. "Will you accept?"