-15-

resting

resting

SOPHIA AND CARL RUSHED INTO HER ROOM, TRYING TO BE AS QUIET AS POSSIBLE BUT FAILING MISERABLY. It was almost dinner time, and Scarlett had slept all day, missing the freak out of Shane with the walkers in the barn. She was not there when Annette and Shawn were put down for good, nor when Hershel up and left to the town bar while Beth was in shock downstairs.

"Scarlett would've known what to do," Sophia whispered to Carl as they sat on the ground next to her bed. They were hiding from the adults who were all stressed out to the max. Sophia held her clean doll while Carl played with a knife, and he smiled softly at Sophia as she added, "She's our guardian angel... she would've stopped Shane."

Scarlett opened her eyes slowly, squinting as she got used to the light of the sunset outside.

"What's goin' on?" she muttered causing both to jump.

Carl turned and stood first, hugging her tightly. She ran a hand through his hair as she felt tears wet her chest. She shushed him lightly, pulling Sophia into the hug when she teared up as well.

"We thought you weren't gon' come back," Sophia told her through a cry. She shushed them some more, letting them in the bed with her when they took off their shoes. Carl placed his knife on the nightstand and his hat on the floor next to his shoes. They were tucked on either side of her.

"Shane broke open the barn of walkers," Carl murmured as Scarlett ran a hand through both of their heads to calm them down. "Hershel left, so Dad and Glenn went to find him. Beth is in a state of shock, Mom thinks."

"Shh," she shushed them both, their bodies heaving a bit from their cries. "Don't worry about any of them right now. Sleep."

She hummed them a lullaby that brought the trio to sleep easily.

Maggie paced in the room as Shane walked inside, looking for Carl and Lori. Maggie glared at him. Shane ignored it. Shane stepped up the stairs and found Lori at the door of Scarlett's room, rubbing her stomach.

"If I don't make it, she'll take care of him," Lori whispered to Shane softly. Carl held tightly to Scarlett, his hand laying softly on top of Sophia's.

"Don't say that. You're gonna make it through," Shane told her. "What did Rick say?"

"He knew about us the second he got back," she said with a dry laugh. "Says he knew I wanted someone else but was holding off for Carl. He wants me to be happy, and he will support me. This baby. He told me it was up to me who I wanted, and that he would be happy I was happy. Why isn't he mad at me, Shane?"

"Because he does love you," Shane told her. "And he knows you love him, but sometimes love can only hold on so much. He says you were holding off for Carl, that true?"

"'Course. Rick 'nd I were one argument away from a divorce, but I did not want Carl going through that with all the happy families around him... I just... I miss you," she finally finished with a sigh. "What do I do, Shane?"

Shane kissed her shoulder, nudging his head in the direction of Carl. "First, you talk to him. Then, Carl. When you've made up your mind, find me."

He was about to walk away when she turned and grabbed his arm. "I-If I do this, Shane Walsh, you have to get off the crazy train. Rick is still going to be a part of our lives. Of this baby's life. Carl's. You will not be against that. You will be here for me."

Shane smiled softly, grabbing her hand and kissing her knuckles. "I promise. He's my brother."

Lori gulped, nodding and clicking the door shut unaware that Scarlett had heard everything.

Falling back to sleep, she did not wake up until it was well into the early morning. Her stomach grumbled in hunger, and she had to pee. Maneuvering around Carl, she made sure the pair were still tucked in as she toed out of the room to get ready for the day. Braiding her hair to keep it out of her face, she got dressed and put her boots on before heading to the kitchen.

Sitting in the kitchen at four thirty in the morning was Daryl. She was surprised to see him, as he always stayed as far away from them as possible. He noticed her standing in the doorway, and she continued in to make some coffee.

She gestured to the coffee machine after the few minutes of silence while the machine made their coffee. Daryl grunted out, "Black," and she made it quietly. Grabbing a muffin Beth had made before she went into shock, she placed one in front of them and split it in half. Daryl eyed her warily as she pushed one half to him.

"Thanks."

She nodded as they ate, and Daryl practically ate the muffin in record time.

"Don' think you realize what bringin' Sophia back meant to all of us," Daryl muttered. "You gave them hope again."

She pointed at him with a tilt of her head.

"Yeah, me too."

Smiling softly, she kept her gaze on the table as the words tumbled out of her mouth. "Didn't think I'd survive. They are gettin' closer to the farm."

"I'll let Rick know. We'll take care of it," Daryl murmured, not wanting to make her panic knowing Rick, Glenn, and Hershel had yet to return from town. He was up waiting for them after Shane had calmed Lori down before she drove to town herself to find them. She nodded, sipping her coffee. "Yer Uncle wants us gone, since Shane's tantrum. We were planning on havin' a service for yer aunt and cousin who were killed in the barn." She sighed softly. "M'sorry 'bout them."

"Life," was all she said, glancing out the window as she saw a truck pulling up. Daryl stood as well as they rushed outside.

Being the only ones awake, it was less panic when Rick showed them the stowaway with his leg all fucked up. Hershel breathed out in relief when he saw Scarlett standing.

"Prepare the shed for surgery."

"Who the hell is that?" Daryl asked Glenn.

"Uh... that's Randall."