-24-

looting

looting

HERSHEL KEPT THE TRUCK LOCKED WHILE SCARLETT, RICK, DARYL, GLENN, MAGGIE, AND T-DOG GOT OUT OF THE CARS. The group killed the walkers that snarled and growled toward them. They were in the center of town, taking them all out one by one.

Scarlett kicked one, watching it fall to the ground before bashing its head in with her foot. She noticed already that there was a hardware store, a bar, and a pharmacy... which would be the essentials. The main essential was food, of course, but they could go through houses and the small markets around. She was worried about weapons and medicine. The bar was important because they normally kept guns in them.

There were no more walkers coming at them, so they signaled for Hershel and Carol to follow them with the cars as they found a motel on the corner of the street.

Daryl hit the windows, waiting a moment before two walkers snarled at them. Rick opened the doors, letting them out, and Glenn and Maggie took care of them easily. Rick was about to go in first, but Scarlett beat him to it. She rushed in, knife at the ready as the other hand held a flashlight.

The lobby was empty, a vending machine broken and looted. She sighed before leading the group into each room on the bottom floor. They went through four or five rooms before deciding to block off the other side of the hallway and staircase with boards and other necessary equipment.

Once they deemed the five rooms safe, they went back out to help unload. At least for the night or two, they would be safe.

Maggie, Glenn, Hershel, and Beth took a room. There were two beds, so they split two and two. Lori and Carol took another room with Sophia. T-Dog and Daryl took a room. Rick and Carl took the final room.

Scarlett was going to go with the women in Lori's room, but Carl grabbed her bag and threw it into Rick's room with a smirk. Rolling her eyes, she unpacked her bag enough that it would hold new items they found when they went lootings.

Scarlett walked into the lobby area where everyone was congregating after grabbing her bag. Everyone seemed a bit more relaxed now that they had somewhere to hole up.

"Rick," Scarlett called softly, breaking him from his conversation with Daryl. She shook her head, deciding to talk to both of the men. "We need to get to the pharmacy and hardware store first."

"Agreed," Daryl murmured. "Then, the dollar store. Food might be left. No one thinks to check it."

Rick nodded to both of them before he walked over to the group. "I know we're tired, but we need to do one last thing before it gets dark. Glenn and Maggie can take the pharmacy, Carol stands outside in case of emergency. T and Carl will go to the hardware store with Scarlett. It's right next door, so Carol will watch there too. Any weapons. Anything of use, y'all bring it back. Hershel and Daryl, I'll take y'all with me to the dollar store. Beth will stay guard. Lori and Soph will stay here and hold down the fort."

Scarlett ruffled Carl's hair as they all got their tasks. They left one group at a time with empty bags. Scarlett led T and Carl, knife at the ready.

She hit the window twice, but nothing came up for the few minutes that followed. She nodded for Carl to open the door. T-Dog went in first, groaning at a smell of something. Scarlett went next, scrunching her nose up.

A walker was on the ground with no lower half of her body. She smelled awful as she growled for them.

"Carl," Scarlett muttered.

Carl used his knife and put it through her skull easily with a sneer on his face.

"Shout if you need something," she told them as they split into the aisles.

Scarlett found herself on the rope aisle. It also had tape and zipties. She figured they may never know what they will need. Grabbed an abundance of everything, she continued down the aisles.

She eventually met up with T-Dog who had gotten drinks and food left at the register that people must not have though of. She nodded in praise. Carl found them a few minutes later with all sorts of knives and a hammer, a large saw, and a point in the direction of wood for the barricade Rick was talking about.

T-Dog and Carl held some boards as Scarlett zipped all of their bags. The door opened, and Scarlett raised her gun immediately. Carol mumbled an apology before whispering, "It's almost too dark. Y'all ready to head back?"

They all nodded. The pharmacy group and the hardware group left together back to the motel. Scarlett turned her head, eyeing the bar. She saw Glenn looking at her. She whistled, tilting her head in the direction of the bar. He noticed it, handing his bag to Maggie. Scarlett did the the same to Carol.

"We won't be long," Glenn told them as they protested. "Scarlett thinks we'll find something in there. Good to check."

Maggie hesitated before nodding.

Scarlett and Glenn made their way toward the bar, doing the same routine to check for walkers.

Glenn went inside first, yelping when a walker came out of nowhere and almost scratched him. Scarlett cursed, slicing the head of the walker clean off. Glenn took a deep breath, nodding in thanks.

"Check for a safe," she told him softly. "Manager's office."

She hopped the bar, being mindful of the glass littering everywhere from broken bottles and windows.

She crouched, checking every crevice of the bar but sighing when she did not find a weapon. Glenn whistled in her manner, and she popped over the counter to see him holding a small pistol with a silencer.

Jackpot.