-92-

a walker infestation

SCARLETT STARED AT THE WALL IN FRONT OF HER WITH A BLANK STARE. Everyone in Rick's group had tried to talk to her... except for Daryl. Scarlett knew it was him when she heard his loud ass boots clanking on the floor. She did not turn her head when he sat next to her on the couch.

"You gon' crawl back into that hole?"

"Maybe," Scarlett murmured, sipping her coffee. "You should've been here. You'd have saved us all from going through that. You're Rick's head when he gets all worked up. I just encourage him. Guess that makes you mine, too."

"Well, I ain't leavin' for a while. Rick wants to stop lookin' for people."

"You disagree."

"'Course."

"It's my fault Reg is dead. Not Rick's," Scarlett murmured, placing her cup down. "Pete... Pete could have been dealt with in a different way. Rick got so worked up about them makin' us weak, and I agreed. I still agree. I had just come from huntin' and they were all lookin' at me with those judgmental eyes. God, I wanted to shoot all of them. When Rick started the fight... I just joined in. I should've stopped 'im. Lori would'a stopped him."

"Stop it," Daryl grunted. "Don' go down that path."

"And now, because we wanted too much too fast from these people, Reg is dead—"

"I said stop it!" Daryl yelled. "Damn, girl. Just think about how stupid you sound right now."

Scarlett smirked down at her hands, always counting on Daryl to put her in her place. "Then, I told my story to those assholes last night. Told them everything. And they still seemed afraid of me."

"So let them," Daryl concluded. "Let them look at you as if you're gon' shoot them if they fuck wit' you the wrong way. Better to be feared and respected than pushed over and weak like them. Now, get off your ass, Red, and let's go see what we gotta do. Rick's got Deanna's ear now, and she's lettin' 'im do what needs to be done. You need to be a part of that."

Scarlett shook her head, leaning on Daryl's shoulder. "Y'know how embarrassed Rick must'a been when Morgan had to see me shoot that man? And then introduce me as his wife a second later? I don' think Rick can even look at me."

"Hidin' in here ain't helpin'."

"I know," Scarlett sighed. "Just wanna pretend the world doesn't exist for a little while longer."

"Y'think you were wrong 'bout what happened... you weren't, and I know damn well I would'a backed you up. Don' care what Lori would'a done. Don' care what Dale would'a done. T. Bob. Tyreese. You're Scarlett Fucking Grimes, and you got their attention now. So, use it."

"Don't ever leave me, Daryl Dixon."

"Never. Get up. I got shit to do."

Scarlett snorted a laugh, sitting up as Daryl stood up. She extended her hand his way causing him to roll his eyes before helping her stand. She surprised him by moving straight into a hug.