-53-

chaos

chaos

SCARLETT FELT OVER THE MOON DESPITE THE TERRIBLE CONDITIONS SHE WAS LIVING IN AT THE MOMENT. Coughing and hacking and hurling and sneezing echoed through the walls of Death Row, but there was nothing she could do until the medicine got there.

She walked upstairs, shutting cells again as she heard a faint yell.

"Her—"

"Hershel!"

"S-Scar—" Coughing. "Scarlett!"

It was all the same scared voice.

Glenn.

Scarlett took off, but she was soon cut off by a walker coming out of a cell.

"Hershel! The guns!" she shouted, seeing the old man looking up at her with fear just as another walker came out of a cell below. "Beside you!"

Scarlett ducked under the woman that was coming at her as she slid into Glenn's cell. Next to him laid a walker that had the respirator on his face—Henry. He was still alive as a roamer. She shoved him out of the cell as she heard the first round of gunshots. She shut the cell door.

Wincing, she tilted Glenn's head to the side. "Hey, hey, you're okay. Just stay right here, okay? I gotta help Hershel. Breathe Glenn."

Glenn's breaths were raspy and hardly there but he managed to nod at her. Scarlett winced as the woman walker was shot in the head by Hershel. Opening the cell, she pushed Henry onto the gated area over the balcony. Hershel threw her a gun as she said, "We need that respirator for Glenn!"

Hershel's eyes were panicked as he nodded. "I'll worry about Glenn. You protect the rest of them downstairs!"

Scarlett made sure Sophia's cell was shut, ignoring the worried looks from the girl. She threw herself down the stairs as she shot a walker in the face that took a bite out of a man. Her eyebrows furrowed in worry as she looked around for Lizzie and Sasha.

Lizzie was next to a walker, trying to guide it away from Sasha's dehydrated body. "Come on, Joey. Away from Sasha. This way."

Scarlett shot another walker in the head just as Lizzie tripped backward and screamed. Scarlett hurried and shot Joey in the head, pulling Lizzie close as the girl cried even harder. "In the cell, now!"

All of a sudden, Maggie rushed inside with panicked eyes that matched her father's. "Where is my Dad!? Glenn!?"

Scarlett pointed up at Hershel wrestling Henry for the respirator. "Glenn needs the respirator! He's not breathing!" There were gunshots outside that had Scarlett's anxiety skyrocket. She did not know what to do or how to help. Too much was happening.

Maggie ran up the stairs two at a time before she aimed the gun at the walker fighting her dad. Scarlett knew they were going to be taken care of, so she went into each cell to find the survivors. She stabbed two people in the head who were bit and passed out. Walking toward another cell, she found Dr. S dead on the ground. She frowned, knowing he just wanted to do something good.

Hearing a final gunshot inside the building, she knew Henry was dead.

Maggie and Hershel's voices were heard as they tried to save Glenn's life. Scarlett found Sasha beginning to wake up. Kneeling down, she poured some water into the woman's mouth gently. Sasha grumbled a bit under her breath before Scarlett could make out a question as to what was going on.

"Don't worry 'bout it right now. Just rest," Scarlett whispered, running a gentle hand through Sasha's hair.

It was not even an hour after the gunshots outside stopped that she heard a round of footsteps running inside A Block. Tyreese appeared in Sasha's cell, and Scarlett stood to let him see his sister.

She walked out to see Bob, Michonne, and Daryl also running inside with bags full of things. They all stared at the dead around the room, and Daryl watched Scarlett's eyes go to each of the dead bodies before a tear fell from her eye.

She shook her head, breathing heavily as she saw the person she was looking for. Rick rushed inside, not even glancing at the others as he held her to his chest.

"Rick, it was a nightmare," she whispered to him. "What happened outside? I heard shots, and I couldn't—"

"Carl and I had to shoot the cluster of walkers by the fence. They broke through. We're both all right," he promised, hugging her to him.

"Do you know how to do this?" Bob asked Scarlett quietly as Scarlett pulled away from Rick.

She nodded as she heard Maggie talking to Hershel. "Yeah. Yeah, Glenn needs it bad. He won't make it. He's not breathing on his own."

"Let's get to work," Daryl grunted out, gesturing to the bodies, "before we all catch it."

The next few hours, Scarlett worked with Bob to administer the medicine to those who survived. Glenn was given it first, and in the hour they saw progress. Sasha, Lizzie, Sophia, and even Scarlett herself took some. The other survivors took some as Daryl and the others got the bodies out of Death Row.

Scarlett was cleared by Hershel, but she told him to go rest. She would look after the survivors for the night. And Maggie was not going to leave Glenn, so Scarlett knew she would have help if need be.

Hershel cried in his own cell, and Maggie and Scarlett had to pretend not to hear it. It was heartbreaking, but they knew it was a lot for the older man to deal with.

Scarlett smiled at Sophia as the young girl read a book with Lizzie. The pair were close friends, and they both were feeling much better.

"Feeling hungry?" Scarlett asked as she brought in some food. They cheered and grabbed it from her hands. Scarlett smiled and left the cell, closing her eyes and breathing in and out once and then twice to rid of the dizziness. The smell of the food made her want to vomit.

Leaving the kid's cell, she walked to see Maggie still pushing breaths into Glenn.

"He's gainin' color," she told Maggie.

Maggie nodded, a small smile forced onto her face.

"He'll be all right."

"I won't have it any other way."

Scarlett nodded, leaving them as she walked downstairs. Her eyes widened as Carl stood there looking around. He wore a bandanna around his mouth, though everyone was probably exposed to it by now. She figured it was Rick being cautious of Judith.

Scarlett smiled and let a tear fall as Carl shouted her name and ran to her. He held her tightly, his small arms not giving any room for her to break away.

"Hey, bud. Oh, I missed you," she whispered, kissing his head that did not have his hat on. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you, Scar. So so much," he cried.