-83-

the appointment

the appointment

SCARLETT HAD AN APPOINTMENT THE NEXT MORNING. She was terrified to go, but Maggie assured her that they needed answers. They needed to know that the baby was okay.

Scarlett slid on a pair of jeans, and a large shirt covered her stomach. She slid on her combat boots, but she could not bend down to tie them. Puffing up air at the bangs that fell in her face, she called for Carl.

Carl walked over, a smirk on his face at her pout.

"Not a word."

Carl kept the smirk, leaning down to tie her shoes.

Scarlett had kept the braid in her hair that Rosita did, and she had made sure her ring was in place. Sliding on a jacket, she asked Carl if she looked okay.

"Yeah, you look fine. Why does it matter?"

"These people saw us yesterday... they were scared. I don't want them to think I'm not worthy of being here," she grumbled, ruffling his hair since he had taken off his hat. "Take Judith for a walk. They have a stroller in the closet."

"Sure," Carl replied. "Hey, it'll be okay. The baby, I mean."

"I know," she replied, kissing his forehead.

Walking downstairs slowly, she managed to not fall on her ass. Rick was drinking coffee at the counter. He turned from his conversation with Carol and Daryl. He smiled at her.

"Everyone went exploring. You ready?" he asked.

"No. But let's go."

"Carl, Jessie said her boys want to meet you if you happen to swing by," Rick called as he grabbed his knife despite the look from Michonne who had walked inside the room.

Carl walked in the kitchen with Judith already in a stroller. "Yeah, I will after I give Judith a walk like Mom said—" his eyes widened. "Like Scarlett said. Yeah, uhm... see you guys." He rushed out of the house, leaving a shocked Scarlett.

Rick turned to look at her, shaking his head. "He's all right."

"I didn't— I don't—"

"I know. Come one."

Rick and Scarlett left the house soon after. Daryl rolled his eyes as he went back to drinking some water. "Damn family always has something goin' on."

Carol and Michonne let out laughs at his words.

At the infirmary, Scarlett smiled softly at Eric and Aaron. Eric was in a bed while Aaron was reading something to him. They exchanged pleasantries before a man walked inside the room.

He was smiling a bit crookedly as he fixed the stethoscope around his neck. "Hi, you must be Rick. Scarlett. Nice to meet you both." He extended his hand for Rick to take first. Rick shook it after a moment before Scarlett's hand replaced it. "Wow, a baby. I was shocked to see the blonde one in your boy's arms. Another? You're one lucky family in this crazy world."

"This is my first," Scarlett murmured. "And when Judith was born, Lori didn't make it. I just—Do you think I'll make it?"

Pete laughed. "Of course. I'm the best surgeon this town has ever seen. Got Denise 'round back if I ever need anything. You're in great hands."

Scarlett let out a breath of relief while Rick kept his gaze stony.

"Take a seat. I'll check your vitals and all that before we get a look at the baby's. After all, no Mommy means no baby."

Scarlett sat on one of the beds, letting the man begin his inspection. Rick watched him touch her all over the place while he asked different questions. Sometimes, Pete's hand lingered longer than needed. Rick clenched his jaw, turning to look at Aaron who was giving him a look. Turning back, he saw Scarlett chuckling at something Pete said.

"All right, you look good all things considered. This wound on your arm must've been recent?"

"Nah, months ago."

"Wasn't properly stitched, but it's not looking too bad. Just a nasty scar."

"I didn't stitch it at all, I don't think," Scarlett said with a light laugh. "I can't even remember that far back. I try to push bad memories away."

Pete nodded before glancing at Rick. "So, Deanna tells me y'all are here for good. Not just for the baby. It's good. We need people like you."

Rick nodded. "Yeah, you do."

Pete did not even flinch at his harsh tone. He just nodded again, instructing Scarlett to lay back. "All right. You're the first we get to use the machine on. Lift your shirt."

Scarlett did so, reaching for Rick's hand. Rick grabbed it as Pete rubbed the jelly on her stomach. Aaron and Eric watched as Pete put the device on her stomach, chuckling a bit.

"Well, there it is. God, look how healthy it is somehow. That's a good thing, of course. I'm shocked. It's a bit on the small side, but I think that's okay. Wait until I turn on the sound. Wanna hear the heartbeat?" Scarlett nodded, tears leaving her eyes as she watched the screen. The sound came on and heartbeats began. Scarlett was openly crying now, pulling Rick to her. "Want to know the gender?"

"I've been callin' him a he," Scarlett said with a laugh. "Had a gut feelin'. What do you want?"

"I wanna know," Rick nodded. Scarlett grinned, looking back to Pete as she nodded as well. Pete moved the device around until they got a good look.

"Well, she's got strong feet by the look of those kicks. You've got maybe three weeks or so until she's here," Pete said teasingly as both Grimes watched their baby girl kick Scarlett's stomach. Scarlett let out a laugh, no disappointment evident in her voice. Rick hugged her from the side, a smile on his face.

Aaron and Eric were grinning as Aaron added, "Aaron or Erin. Works both ways... Erin Grimes. I like the sound of it!"

Scarlett laughed some more, wiping her eyes with only love staring at the screen where her little girl was being shown.