-20-

the storm

the storm

SCARLETT GROANED IN PLEASURE AS RICK'S HAND WORKED ITS WAY AROUND HER SHOULDER. She had a crick in it from sleeping on the ground, but she would never take her bed from the kids. Rick saw her rolling her neck around, so he immediately got up and began to massage it.

They had finished dinner the next night, and everyone was all cozy and ready for bed. Scarlett smiled gratefully at Rick as she stood. He nodded at her before she left to grab a soda. Rick announced he was going on a perimeter check... Carl jumped up happily, wanting to follow. Rick looked at Lori, and she nodded with a hesitant smile.

Scarlett took the Nutella off the shelf and opened it happily. She grabbed a spoon, taking a large mouthful just as Glenn walked in the kitchen and caught her red-handed. They both paused, staring at each other, before they both burst into fits of laughter.

"You sharin'?" Glenn asked as he hopped on the counter. Scarlett grabbed another spoon, the pair not speaking as they enjoyed the chocolate.

Glenn opened his mouth to say something when T-Dog yelled out, "There's Walkers!"

Scarlett dropped the spoon, running to the front door to open it. Her eyes were wide and scared as she took in the undead maneuvering toward their fences. Some had already made it there.

"Patricia, kill the lights," Hershel said quickly.

"Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway. Should we just stay inside?" Glenn asked softly as it became dark in the house.

"Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don' know 'bout," Daryl muttered, already getting his crossbow ready as he opened the door again to get a headcount.

Scarlett heard them say the herd could rip the house down, and that was it. She turned and rushed upstairs. Grabbing her backpack, she filled it with anything of importance in her room, grabbing Sophia's doll as well. Running downstairs, she heard Lori worrying over Carl and Rick. Shane immediately grabbed his own gun and said he was going out to find them.

Scarlett grabbed another backpack, filling it with food and water that would fit. It seemed she was the only one who thinking. Finally, Carol turned to her.

"Sophia, honey, grab that bag and fill it with blankets," Carol rushed out as she grabbed every firearm they had and began to hand them out just as Shane rushed out of the house with Lori's cries of protest behind him.

"I got the number, no use," Daryl told Hershel as everyone grabbed a bag full of their things that had yet to be unpacked.

Scarlett gave Sophia the bag of food before cocking her gun causing everyone to look at her. "We have guns. Cars. Kill as many as we can."

Andrea nodded at her. "Use the cars to lead the rest off the farm."

"You serious?" Daryl said to her and Hershel.

Hershel nodded. "This is my farm. I'll die here."

"All righ'," Daryl muttered. "Good a night as any."

Scarlett got Sophia to a car first before anything. She nodded at Carol as the woman stayed back with Lori since the woman was going crazy with no view of her boyfriend, ex-husband, or kid... Carol was glad to see Sophia was taken care of.

Maggie and Glenn reached the same car, and Scarlett gestured to Sophia. "We got her, go!"

Nodding, she popped a few walkers on her way back to the house. Jimmy rushed to the RV, stabbing a walker in the head with a crowbar. Scarlett saw Hershel by the porch closest to the barn. She shook her head, wishing he'd get in a car.

Carol was with Lori and Andrea as the barn suddenly lit into flames.

Scarlett scowled as a walker snarled in her face, so she used the butt of her gun to kill it. Popping off two more rounds, she felt her throat clench as she was backed into a corner by the stables. Scarlett's hand went to the door, making her way inside and quickly let the horses out. "Go Buck!" she shouted as Nelly followed him. When she got out the other way, she realized she was trapped by walkers. Trying to kill them all, she felt her breathing pick up. Before one could kill her, an arrow went through its skull.

"C'mon, Red!"

Scarlett rushed over and climbed onto Daryl's motorcycle, and she popped off more rounds as they drove toward the flaming barn.

"Drop me off. Gotta get Rick and Carl!" she shouted.

"You got a death sentence, girl!?"

Scarlett saw them getting closer to Andrea and Carol. Whistling, Scarlett got Carol's attention as Andrea saved her life. Andrea ran off, using her gun to lead them away from Carol. Scarlett got off the bike as Daryl called for Carol to get on.

"You gon' be all right!?" Daryl called worriedly.

"Go!" Scarlett snarled, killing a walker too close to them. He nodded, giving her a look before driving off.

Scarlett stabbed a walker with a cry of pain from her wrist. It still had not healed.

She saw the RV getting overrun by walkers, but her breathing evened out a bit when she saw Carl and Rick running toward her.

She watched Hershel, T-Dog, and Lori drive off, followed by Glenn and Maggie's car. Daryl was long gone. She had to get them to safety.

"Come on!" she shouted, grabbing Carl's hand when they were close enough. Carl used his gun, shooting walkers in front while Rick covered the back.

Scarlett saw her truck not touched by walkers, though they were close to it. She was glad to have left the keys in it. "Carl, get in the truck now!" Carl hesitated before jumping into the backseat and shutting the door tight.

"Did you see anyone else!?" Scarlett called, a slight tremor in her tone. Rick shook his head, pushing her toward the truck. She wanted to stay. "No! I have to make sure they made it out! Rick!"

"We have to go!" Rick gruffed out, opening the passenger door and shoving her in. Carl shot a walker from his window that was too close. Scarlett fought for a second with tears leaving her eyes before she realized she needed Carl to get out of there. Rick slammed the passenger door as he ran to the driver's side. Scarlett had already started the truck, so Rick put it into gear and the tired squealed as he took off. "I'll make a lap."

Rick did as he said... but no one was seen.

Scarlett's tears did not stop as they left the farm, the mailbox with Greene on it falling over on the way out.