Christ Jesus - The anointed one

What does Christ mean ?

To the surprise of some, " christ " is not Jesus's last name (surname). " Christ " comes from the Greek word Christos, meaning " anointed one " or " chosen one " . This is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word " Mashiach " or " Messiah ".
" Jesus " is the Lord's human name given to Mary by the angel Gabriel (luke 1:31). " Christ " is his title, signifying Jesus was sent from God to be a king and Deliverer ( see Daniel 9:25 ; Isaiah 32:1 ). " Jesus Christ " means " Jesus the Messiah " or " Jesus the Anointed one " .

In ancient Israel, when someone was given a position of authority, oil was poured on his head to signify his being set apart for God's service ( e.g. 1 Samuel 10:1). Kings, priests and prophets were anointed in such fashion. Anointing was a symbolic act to indicate God's choosing ( e.g. 1 samuel 24:6). Although the literal meaning of anointed refers to the application of oil, it can also refer to one's consecration by God, even if literal oil is not used ( Hebrews 1:9).

There are hundreds of prophetic passages in the old testament that refers to a coming Messiah who would deliver his people ( e.g. Isaiah 61:1 ; Daniel 9:26). Ancient Israel thought their Messiah would come with military might to deliver them from decades of captivity to earthly kings and pagan nations. But the new testament reveals a much better deliverance provided by Jesus the Messiah - a deliverance from the power and penalty of sins ( luke 4:18 ; Roman 6:23).

The Bible says Jesus was anointed with oil on two separate occasions by two different women ( Matthew 26:6-7 ; luke 7:37-38), but the most significant anointing came by the way of the Holy spirit (Acts 10:38).

Jesus's title of " Christ " means he is God's Anointed one, the one who fulfills the old testament prophecies, the chosen saviour who came to rescue sinners ( 1 Timothy 1:15 ), and the King of kings who is coming back again to set up his Kingdom on earth the (Zechariah 14:9).