A path of SABBATHS

Mark 2
27 Then He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

Eden is long gone now, and between us and its rest stand Cherubim holding a flaming sword. See Genesis 3:24.

Once upon a time, God's rest was weaved into the fabric of mere existence. See Genesis 2:2. But after the fall and the exodus came the ten commandments instructing them "to keep the Sabbath." And, under the law, Israel went astray:

Psalm 95
"For forty years I was angry with that generation; I said, They are a people whose hearts go astray, and they have not known my ways." "So I declared on oath in my anger, They shall never enter my rest."

The Sabbath was a nuisance to them:

Amos 8
"4 Hear this, you who... saying, "When will the New Moon be over that we may sell grain, and the Sabbath be ended that we may market wheat?"

But God! The God of rest sent his Son to bring us rest. Matthew 12:8 "The Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath."

God instituted a path of Sabbaths, walked along for centuries, and what they found was not a day but a Lord.

Matthew
"28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Jesus did not come to point us towards rest or even to lead us

there Himself. No! He became our rest. No longer, then, would the weary and heavy laden look to a day to find rest, but to a person, Jesus.

What sleeping in, days off, and days on vacation cannot do, Jesus offers as a gift. And, one day soon, the Lord of the Sabbath will reign. We will walk through a world where God's rest rises from the soil and drops from the clouds.

 We will walk through a world where God's rest rises from the soil and drops from the clouds