Chapter 11

"Luke, prepare to lose." 

Alderic threatens with a smirk while stroking the horse's mane. Contrary to his usual heavy coat, he is now wearing a white button shirt with, of course, the signature open collar. Around his hip is a dagger secured by a strap, and the arrows are right behind, creating an undeniably wild vibe. Luke exchanges a challenging look while stretching his shoulder. "Well then, I am looking forward to seeing your performance, comrade." Luke instead wears a simple shirt that accidentally shows the curves of his masculinity. With his expertise in melee combat, his hips and back are equipped with short knives. Unlike his words, Alderic reaches out for a handshake with a grin before hopping on the black horse.

Why is there hunting? The answer dates back to a few days ago when Alderic competed with Luke to find out who was the strongest. A meaningless battle. Surprisingly, it turned everyone excited, as Luke, who with that much muscle, wins the most. Alderic surely can not accept the fact he was defeated, now demanding a hunt to prove his strength in the eyes of others.

"Say, Alderic, what will I get if I win?" Luke's question clearly has quite an effect on the audience. The nurses held their breaths, watching the two men start gossiping about what the prize might be. Eventually, all eyes rest on Theodore, who is simply enjoying his time with a book in his hand. Noticing something off, Theodore let out a sigh, "How about whoever wins has a day off?" To his surprise, the answer absolutely does not meet their expectations, a dejected look is painted on their faces. "That's not enough," a nurse confronts, and the crowd starts to rebel. You will never know that having a day off will be paradise to me, Theodore thinks to himself.

Lily, in a gentle voice, raises her hand in shyness," There is a tradition that I think might work in this situation." The air suddenly becomes silent, as if waiting for Lily to continue her story. "This tradition, though, has been forgotten, but I believe there will be a worthy reward for those who win this brave competition." She throws a bold look at Theodore, "Centuries ago, heroes with brave hearts who came back from the hunts would be granted a kiss on the hands by the noble maiden, as a gesture of gratitude for their accomplishments." The nurses soon giggle, clearly showing how delightful they are. Lily approached Theodore with a tender smile, "As the highest authority here, the most suitable would be Doctor Theodore himself, am I right?" The answer definitely astonished Theodore, he realized he had not had many choices. When things can't be worse, Alderic decides to turn on his provocative mode, "The lady is right, with such an enormous reward from the respectable doctor like that," he grinned playfully, "I am sure that will encourage us enough to hunt for enough food till next year." Following him are the cheers of hunters in unison.

Things will be much easier if a lady completes the tradition; however, Theodore, as the faculty's lead doctor and counselor for years, has earned the complete trust and respect of everyone who lives here, to the point where they consider him family. Not to mention that the majority of the personnel who live here are children who have been victims of war and have been rescued and saved by his hands; Theodore is a lighthouse that shines through the night to them. An anchor. So, for them, a simple kiss is the best gift they can receive; a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like this cannot be passed up. Looking at Lily's innocence, Theodore can't help but wonder what he could do to please her.

"If Lily has said so, I guess I don't have much choice," Theodore sighed, " Whoever wins the hunt will be granted a grateful kiss." As the hunters, now on their horses, form a line in the front yard, ready to hunt with zeal, Theodore walks slowly to the door, "That's decided," he says, reaching his hand toward the forest, then closing the book sharply, "Let the hunt begin."

Stroking the soft fur of the horse, Alderic shouted, "Let's see what you are capable of." The sight of him soon disappears under the leaves, followed by Luke and other hunters. As the nurses gather into groups to picnic and wait, Theodore finally has his time alone with the book. "Would you like some tea, Dr.?" Lily's voice cut through his thinking. "I hope my offer does not offend you," Lily says as she pours the tea gently. "This will be one arrow that hits two birds." Theodore shook his head slightly; he never imagined that a shy girl who always hid behind his back would grow up to be a wise, yet elegant woman. "I never question your decision, Lily."