Chapter 53

"Quick this way!" Joseph's voice tore through the air with each step they took. Behind them are metal and footsteps, yearning to claim their freedoms. Alderic, hand in hand with Evelyn's, fled to the light under Axl's protection. What could be more painful than to witness the beloved die in front of your useless self? In the end, fate was not keen on letting her mourn their death. Locking away all the grief, and moving on is the only option. For this chance is carved out of sacrifice, she and they will make it worth.

Quickly, Joshep led them to a darker path covered in layers of leaves. The solid vale of mist blocking the eyesight is an ideal weapon they could use to lure. Into the mist, they divided. Certainly, accompanied by Alderic and Axl, Evelyn should feel safer than anyone else. Then why is a sense of malaise still stirring inside? Take a deep breath, forever bury it in the depths of her heart. Tension heightened with each step they took, not keen on letting out even the smallest sound to alert the guards. After what feels like hours, the edge meets their sight at last.

Before any sign of relief could come, the branch broken under Evelyn's step echoed, breaking the deadly silence of the mist. The same as Axl, indeed, those soldiers are trained to be Arioch's killing machines, knowing nothing but obey. The moment that crushing comes, they strike in her direction. "Be careful, they are not easy to deal with." Axl hissed under his breath, his scarred hands gripping both knives. Like an arrow, he disappeared into combat, proactively taking lives before the enemies could even lay their touch. Yet, blinding their eyes with a veil is the once-thought ally, the mist. For now, it has blurred the boundaries between life and death. Holding on to her brother's hand is Evelyn in pure fear. Can't see any enemies besides the sound of violence, what else could be worse? Never before had she witnessed what lies on the battlefront until this day. A place... Beyond salvation, beyond the reach of God, lies the realm of Death. Could it be the harsh reality that shook her awake? Glancing up at the one who swore to protect, to be greeted by a different one. Under the black strands already surrendered, those emerald pearls gazed upon the only mission, killing. After all, the tired hand soon colored gray. "Afraid not, you won't lose me." He whispers. "No matter what happens, you will always be by my side."

Suddenly, a strong force pulled her down, and Alderic quickly swung the silver sword to her side. His hand locks with hers, switching positions. The soldier then fell to the ground while Alderic brandished his sword, the flow of blood running down the silver blade. All of his actions happened in just a blink, too quick for her to even see the enemy or the blood. She was completely in awe. From changing their standings to wiping away the blood, all of those efforts were to save her from seeing such unnecessary and brutal scenes. Before they could catch more breath, a few soldiers struck behind the mist. Unflattered, Alderic calmly took them down one by one. Yet, no matter how strong his skill was, protecting and attacking at the same time soon put the general in a weaker position. From the unknown, a sharp blade was aimed at his neck in Evelyn's scream. "Orville!" At his command, a black raven immediately appears. Using its wings to strike the enemy, the raven's beak stabbed its prey's eyes, leaving tears of agony and blood. That's right, Evelyn keeps forgetting that, besides a raven, Orville was Alderic's comrade. Side by side, they have gone through countless battles, enough to make any enemies yield when they see the raven's sight. And this time is no exception. Orville, side by side with Alderic, banishing every enemy in sight. Evelyn can't help but sigh. A raven is even more useful than her.

Several more come at Alderic, surrounding him in a circle, striking him all at once. Covered her in his arms, the blade dancing on his hand. Pouring all his might into each move, a sharp blade hit his stomach, sending a wave of pain. Ignoring the warm flow of blood leaking from the wound, Alderic clenched his teeth, facing the storm of the enemies' battle cry. Reaching the limit, Alderic flinches for a second, just in time to catch a blade about to fall on his head. A clumsy but steady sword merely defends him, blocking the deadly swing. Evelyn then let out rapid breaths, her eyes focusing on the target. Only defending a move has taken so much strength from her. What could she do if they attacked? For all those years, all she knew was how to defend, but how could she protect? In no time, a booming sound emerges, with smoke creating a border between the sides. "Follow me, quick." Axl jumps out of nowhere, leading the two away from the carnage battle. Orville cut through the mist, following its master, Alderic. How thankful they were that fate was on their side, for so long that they could escape violence and rejoin peace.