Chapter 25

Tears falling from the clouds bring a cool breeze. It's truly rare to witness such hard rain in a place famous for its dryness. Drops follow drops, engulfing the world in a blurry mist. Alone in the aging library, Theodore is immersed in the realm of knowledge. Perhaps, if anyone takes an accidental glance at Theodore, they will see him as nothing more than an intellectual scholar. The navy eyes scan through every word while the thin fingers flip through the pages. The soothing aura of chrysanthemum tea covers the room with a cozy feeling, easing away the coldness of the rain. More than anyone, Theodore understands the value of information. At this moment, the legacy of mankind runs before him like waves, yet nothing catches his attention. His mind has wandered to the Imperial Castle. Though he never believed in intuition, works based on luck were always too risky for him. He closed the book in his hand, with his mind drifting to the outside. The rain still falls, bringing along the signature scent. If the rain could wash away all the sorrows and sins... Theodore had never felt this vulnerable and insecure. Deep down, he knows something is coming, destroying everything he has worked for. Ironically, he can't even control the monster inside him.

I want us to cooperate... The distant words came back from afar. Certainly, they have made a contract, binding the two strangers to walk on the same path. Together, they shared one goal, to take down the fallen King, and bring back peace and prosperity. Easier said than done. Clearly, the King's crime is uncountable, treating lives like trash. Soon the golden crown on his head will be dyed in blood. Still, none of those are enough to knock him off the throne. No... there will be something hiding in the dark.

As long as this body still lives, I will make sure to punish you for every single drop of your sins. After all, I have determined to cleanse your obnoxious soul before consecrating it to my family.

"Dr? I did not expect to meet you here," said Alderic, surprised as he saw the familiar figure. Though, the smile on his face disappeared right away the moment he noticed the solemn appearance. Years of being submerged in anger and hatred have brought such a flame to bloom from the inside. But time does teach him well. Patience and knowledge, in the end, are the best weapons to serve his will. "Good timing," Theodore greets Alderic, then, "I believe it's time to get to work." Alderic can definitely tell there is something unusual about the man before him. Something wrong has happened? Or is it unfortunate news? Perhaps, the best move now is to approach and ask. Alderic grabs the opposite chair from Theodore, trying to read what's on his mind, yet answering him back with only pure silence. Before Alderic could say anything else, the other man shifted his intense gaze as bullets fired through the glass. A look that bears all of his chaotic emotions seems to startle Alderic in some way. "Wow, what's with the look?" Protesting as if he were involved in some sort of crime. "No, it's not your fault." The scholar puts his glass into a wooden case, his eyes softening. "It's something to do with the wicked King," continuing, "I also think about our plan." Alderic, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of the calm and serious look of Theodore, now nothing but surprised. "Quite a while for us to think of it now, isn't it?" he replies, "Certainly, let us now discuss this matter and set gears in motion." Alderic helps with clearing the necessary space for such crucial meetings. Until then, Theodore is the first to speak. "So, I am intending to design a plan that should not draw any drops of blood, nor end with any parties being alarmed." Elegantly sipping tea, he moves on. "I've heard several rumors regarding our Highness. First of all, the King is somehow involved in a contract with our opponent - Hyram. However, further information is not yet known. The second one, the King also intended to alter the Charter, in order to dismiss the Congress. I believe he wanted to handle most of the powers in our system. A close source also informed us that he will reintroduce the 'enslaved' policy."

Theodore was leaning back against the leather chair, sighing. "With these earth-shattering pieces of information, what will they leave behind if they are exposed to the public?" Just to exchange an amusing expression with Alderic.

"Do you have any objections to this plan?" Theodore fixed his gaze on the man across the table, determination flashing in his pupils. "None," he smirks, "but you do pique my interest." Clapping his hand, Alderic smiled and said, "You have my applause. The speculation you have is right." He was never wrong, from the moment he chose Theodore till now. Reached out, they shake hands in pleasant. Not only Alderic but also Theodore never thought the plan would go this smoothly. Alderic makes no effort to understand what Theodore wants to deliver.

Excusing himself, Alderic takes his leave with a wave, "It's a pleasure to work with you, I will inform you soon." Left alone, Theodore gets lost in his sea of thoughts. Still, something still troubled his heart. The feeling of uncertainty... The rest of the morning carries on uneventfully, yet knowing from that very moment, that their plan is finally set in stone has left a constant worry on his mind. Will Fate let their contract play out without any obstacles or wrench it mercilessly? There are no living souls left, but only time can untie this knot. Theodore finally decided to take a lunch break. How unfortunate to see the outside raining hard. Instead, checking on the patients sounds like a great idea. Theodore's footsteps echo through the empty hallway until he comes across a familiar figure, who is enjoying the view outside. No one else but Reid was standing at the large window. Without a doubt, Reid had already noticed Theodore's presence. "I take it that you have discussed the plan with Alderic." "Anyway, this matter should not be discussed in public," he says while folding his arms and leaning against the frame. "Broad daylight, see you as usual, tonight at 9." Theodore waves at the figure running off the scene, "See you then." How typical of him. Entering the treatment room, greeting him this time is Lily, who is carrying some documents. "Welcome back, Doctor." The girl puts on a delightful smile. "How have you been?" "Are you all good?" Theodore softened his expression, accompanied by his gentle voice. Answering him back is a joyful tone. Of course, deep down under that smile is a fractured heart from the earlier incident, but it seems the girl is slowly, from time to time, healing herself, like a tree after a devastating storm. Hopefully, at the end of the day, the tree will rise and be full of life, once again. "I'm sure you still need to get some peaceful rest. How about I take over from here, Lily?" On the contrary, Lily gently shakes her head, showing her refusal. After all, her grief is nothing compared to her responsibilities. Haunted by the past is not part of her personality, "I'm grateful for your consideration, I'm alright."

...

9 p.m.

Through the well-kept entrance located in his own room, Theodore proceeds to enter the underground room. A small one with some basic amenities. On the opposite chair is Reid, waiting for his arrival. "You are always on time, Doctor." The familiar, cold tone chased away the silence. Theodore manages to pull a chair for himself before starting the meeting. "I understand that we need to do all of this to protect ourselves, but what is it about this meeting that requires it?" Reid replies, leaning forward. "As you already know, we have three puzzles to solve with very limited sources of information. "Creating a public trail to bring the King to justice and to allow our ally to take control of the country." With a slight grin, the man says, "I agree with your move, considering the current condition."

There is one thing Alderic got right from the start, Theodore is not an ordinary doctor. "Find her, she will give you the answer." He smirked, "If she played with you, mention my name." A glimpse of surprise crossed Reid's eyes. It seems Theodore, the one who controls the nights of Averi, has finally come back.

"Understood." Reid nodded.