Chapter 66

Changing.

 Something those people had never dreamt of. Perhaps years of suffering, of obedience under such deviant regimes have soon taken away their lucidity. Drowning in layers of agony, utter desperation has become their company. For their voices, forsaken by the god, vanished in the waves of maniacal laughter of the rulers. Or simply, they are afraid. In the end, that's our nature. Afraid of what can't be predicted, afraid of change. Under the reign of Queen Evelyn Ashworth, will it finally shed light on the darkness of Averi?

Surely, the dawn of her dynasty is never a steady path. A devastated kingdom, a challenge await the young Queen. Surrounded by advisers, their debates over Averi have tortured her ears since early morning. Though most of them, under the influence of the old consul, support her will of protecting the people of her reign. Some throw a contemptuous glare for a simple reason. The Queen is no more than an outsider. The weight of the family that nurtured her, the origin of her blood, all put those who hesitated in doubt. Of all places, the heir protected in the hearts of the crimson dragon, their enemies, the Sylvester. How could they put the fate of the kingdom on the scale, on the game of ally and enemy? How could they get over the illusion of pride to accept such a ruler? They will not be fooled by the crimson dragon again.

"What should be done is to ensure people's safety. Averi can't suffer any more harm." Evelyn incisively put an end to the consultants' debates. "Divide and call for the nobles' support with their fortune." A brilliant solution yet brings dissension to some. For our nature is greed, how could they ever share the same level with those inferiors? The seed of greed soon took root in the dawn of this place. From the same origin of evil, the Great King has failed to destroy. The meeting finally ended in vain. Keeping her head high, Evelyn forces herself to be strong for the moment the crown shines on her, they await her weakness. Buried herself in the study room, piles of papers needed her to ratify the company. A light knock comes, and then Sheritre steps in with other thick papers. "Greetings your Highness. The list you required is here." Seeing Evelyn's weak smile, Sheritre let out a deep sigh. Evelyn quickly scans through the list then nods in agreement, "Thank you Sheritre and please call me Evelyn." Yet Sheritre shakes her head lightly. In a sympathetic glance, the young priest bowed formally. "You are and have always been a Queen, and we are all your servants, bound to protect and obey your will, your Highness." Before such determination, the words stuck to her lips. "I have faith in you, your Highness. Never let anything doubt your judgment." Sheritre nodded at her then left, leaving behind a complex feeling stirring in both of them.

"How was she? Is she alright?" Cecil asks immediately when she sees Sheritre coming out of the room. "Barely good. The inner situation is worse than I thought," Sheritre sighed. Apparently, she has lost count of how many times she sighed today, "How was Alderic and Reid's defensive wall?". Since the chaos ended with a sudden coronation of a young Queen, Averi has fallen into a more vulnerable state than ever. Everything the people had blindly believed and followed vanished in a split second. Divided yet united as one, under her name, they built the first bricks of a reign. A true reign. Yet, the first bricks are always the hardest steps. From the look on Cecil's face, it's not hard to see all of them have reached a dead end. "I count on you on their side." Sheritre pat.

Cecil's shoulder in comfort, "Everything will be alright. The stars have told me."

I do hope everything will be alright...

"Your Highness, with all respect, you can't take away the noble's fortune. That will cause a rebellion!" A group of consultants stands before the throne, commanding. "I took away those who abused their power over the innocent. Tell me, why is that decision wrong?" Evelyn stared straight into the consultants. A simple reason why they are here. They are all sinners who are terrified of the light of judgment. Now using pathetic logic for a way out. Before the consult could continue, Sheritre broke his excuse to pieces, "They are powerful allies for the Queen? The evidence said differently." Throwing, rains of papers fall upon them. Pieces of evidence of their corruption, of their bottomless hunger for greed. High consuls? The sooner she gets rid of these flies, the better. The Queen's supremacy shall not be seen in these inferiors crawling. Guards immediately stormed in to capture the consultants in Evelyn's awe. Under the despise cover, she has been betrayed since the start. Her throne, her will are nothing but nonsense to them. "Wake up, you fool! "That woman is no queen," the consultant raged, pointing at Evelyn. "What myth?" You have let our enemy touch the throne!" He screamed while being dragged away, "Your reign is nothing. You are nothing but a child, an outsider!" Left behind the muttering of the others with eyes of doubt on her. "You dared to disrespect the Queen? The true and only monarch loved Averi and its people?" Sheritre growled coldly. "Open your eyes and see who is the fool! Those who dared to hurt her authority, you shall see the capability of the Protector of the Truth." Her figure is hidden behind the white cloak of the priest block before Evelyn, stopping her from seeing them.

Running back to the study room, a blank expression paints her face. Not until the heavy oak door shut behind her back, did Evelyn allow herself to breathe out. Leaning on the door, the young Queen tries to calm her shaking hands. Sounds of rumors, eyes of pressure weighted her shoulders. Even if the myth were true, she was never trained or born to be a monarch. Compared to the absolute supremacy of Alderic or the dominance of Arioch, she was always in the shadows. Doubts and fears tortured her mind. If she is the Queen of Averi, then she must be the worst of all, Evelyn laughed to herself. They are right. As long as she still has the name Sylvester, they will never see her as Queen. As long as the sin of the crimson dragon has yet to be cleansed, the lion shall never return. The young Queen sobbed quietly. Then she hears a light knock on the door, "Your Highness, are you in there?" Concern hints in her voice. Though surprised, Evelyn quickly wiped away the tears, hiding away the crack in her voice."I'm alright. Don't worry, I will be back in just a moment." The person on the other side of the door stays silent, not even trying to come in. A soft sound was sent to her ears "Cry as much as you want, I will guard for you." Evelyn startles for a second before Sheritre continues. "Everything must be overwhelming. All of sudden, becoming a monarch in a strange place, becoming such an influential person. How alike we are." Though the door blocks them away, Evelyn can still faintly sense the warmth of the young priest. "Will I be able to become their Queen?" Evelyn whispers under her breath. "All my life was just a bird in the cage, an outsider." Tears quietly fell down her cheeks, to the trembling hands. Sheritre's voice fell upon her "None of them matters. You are your own Queen before anyone else. Even without the name, you are still the dazzling Evelyn, the gracious Evelyn we all loved." Closing her eyes, Sheritre leans on the oak door. "I treasure your world, your ideals. The moment I saw you, even without the stars, I was willing to devote everything to your kindness and fairness. You are the only Queen this High Priest of Averi is loyal to."

Tears rolled down like rain on the Queen's hands. Biting her lips, Evelyn can't stop the sobbing sound that escapes. Her direct and simple words fueled her courage. Sheritre, a child of the mansion, has inherited her mother's legacy and has trust in her. Then why can't she accept her own self? Theodore, Axl, and everyone else are out there, supporting her to revive Averi, her true home. The crown is no luxurious, hard-reaching. It's already in her heart with the power of those who loved her. "I have vowed to you, remember? I will use all my power to forever protect you. I will accompany you till the end, Evelyn." Sheritre's soothing voice pushes Evelyn's trembling into tears of relief.

For a second, they sounded so alike.

In her blurry vision, Evelyn faintly feels a warm hand patting her head. Raising up, she sees the figure of him, her beloved artist. Gifting her a smile, he went with the wind. Then the oak door breaks open to Sheritre's astonishment. Stand before she is the new Evelyn. Though the tears are still hinting faintly in those golden eyes, the light of majestic covers the girl. She has loved ones to protect, has a home to protect. She is neither Sylvester nor Leith Ashworth. She is Evelyn.

"Come now; we have work to do." Keeping her head high, the Queen returned to the meeting room.

"Your wish is my command, your Highness."