Chapter 56

Stepping on the wooden stairs, all of a sudden, she sees Alderic storm by. Before she could say anything, the gloom on her brother's face silenced her words. Something bad happened between them, she could definitely tell. Crossing through her sight, the sound of the closing door hid him from her questions. If things keep going on like this... When can they be saved? When can he be saved? A never-ending maze. When walking down the maze's path leads to nowhere, then why not burn it all to reach the destination? Do whatever it takes to execute the plan, as Father has taught each one of Sylvester. So this time, before his helplessness, she will be the one holding the torch, lighting up the way to his awakening.

Opening the door, a low sigh escaped. Theodore lies silently on the bed, his dark navy eyes fixed on the ceiling. Now that his long, messy hair has been fixed neatly, his bright face can finally be seen clearly. Though covered in an emotionless expression hinting at dreary touches, he must have been once dazzling, she thought. An aura of confidence and charms, enough to change him. The brother, hidden behind his teasing mask, is a nonchalant soul whose heart has been locked away long ago. The rusty key of his heart he throws that day will, in the end, lie in those pale hands. From the newfound sense of love, a graceful flower rises and is nurtured by their embrace. And at this moment, halfway to uncovering that barren land, he chooses to destroy instead. Destroyed the only blooming flower with denial, and disappointment. For the first time in so long, the child learns how to love down to the depths of inadequacy. Though they couldn't see her, she could effortlessly tell how stubborn they were. Blindly and stubbornly, they thought they were protecting each other.

"I'm Evelyn Sylvester," she takes Theodore's hand, covering her warmth on his "I know deep down, you still can hear us, see us." The determined eyes are gold in color and fix on his figure. "Everything that's happened is our fault. Putting you in this, was never our will." She was tired of running in circles, she sure was, and so did he. Enough of talking, now they need to do something to stir up the situation. "As much as I want to, the past can't be undone." More than anyone, you must be the one who understands the most." Gripping his hand lightly, the warmth, the bravery spread to him. "In this eternal alley of darkness, we yearn for your awakening, your brilliant mind. For you, the only one who could stop the root of all tragedy. For your forgiveness, you can revive our lost strength." For a second, the ocean in those eyes oscillates. Even if it was just her imagination, there is no way to turn back now. "Taking this chance, we can still able to save the others," firmly, she said, " With your return, I await a united league." It felt the whole time she was talking to herself, with Evelyn standing up. Just before getting out of the room, she whispers under her soft breath.

"When will you realize, dear doctor?" The answer you seek is right in front of your eyes."

I will be disappointed if you can't even see the real truth.

Standing at the doorway, a new day starts again. Though this time, the pretend smile can't be forced onto his solemn lines. Waking him up, helping him put on fresh clothes, Alderic did his usual chores flawlessly. Sighing softly, the emerald eyes catch his own reflection in the mirror. The ethereal figure was covered in a frustrated aura. Then the eyesight stops at Theodore. He can no longer run. No, he doesn't want to hide anymore. For Theodore, he is willing to bet. For Theodore, he is willing to face his own fear. For this time, he will see... The most sincere and honest person in him.

Hands in hands, the steady steps guide them up the stairs, to a strange room. No one besides Alderic could know this place. Turning the statue's hand, a hidden door opened behind the bookshelves. Under the dedication of Alderic's hands, he now resides peacefully on the old lounge seat, with the soul seemingly nowhere to be found as per usual. A dusty room that had been left untouched for ages welcomed the duo with the creaking sound of the worn-out hinges, Alderic, in contrast to the statues-like Theodore, yanked the curtains open. Indeed, the cold and dark place, once again breathed life into the warm rays of the sun, revealing centuries-old treasures. A piano is left at the center, covered in a grayish tone from dust, along with the chandelier that can no longer be lit. Evidence of time. Neither sound accompanied them this morning, except for the footsteps now taking a good look around the abandoned room. "How do you think of this hideout?" Casually glancing back to the unmoved man on that chair, silence. Of course, he knew nothing would come out, not even the smallest grunt.