Chapter 75

A glimpse of the misty veil draped over the land of death will reveal the last true battle, the finale of it all. Clomp, clomp, can you hear them? The frontline greets the fearless steps of the warriors shaking the earth. The sound of the golden flag harmonized with the crimson, sending agonizing melodies into the piercing wind. The loyal under the dragon's flag welcomes the children of the south in raising blades. Deploy in front of the lines, thousands of men in shining armor with spears and blades, already pushing shields forward, ready to engage.

Through the faint mist, they finally meet. For once, they were brothers, sharing the same blood. Now, they are commanders, they are rivals. Here to praise their names, to claim what belongs. Still wearing that smile, Arioch rides to the front of the troops. The crown that shines above his head, arrogantly speaks of his absolute authority. A cold smirk drew on Alderic's face. "Father must be disappointed. After all, he raised a thief." His gaze purposefully falls on the golden sword in Arioch's hand. Everything their late father fought for all his life was now in his name forcefully. How irony. "You were always bad with jokes. Don't you the one who killed our father?" A snap from the King and a prisoner is immediately dragged next to him in chains. "Still, I have some reward for your effort."

Pulling out the hood, the wind blew the crimson hair. Apatheticity dyed her expression, and darkness surrounded her gaze. The sight of Cecil sends a ray of animosity to Theodore. On her clear skin, blushing wounds and scratches bloom dazzlingly. A newly cut on her cheek shattered the fragments of a carefree apprentice in his mind. Quietly taking his heartache gaze, no words escape her lips. Like a flame, her figure stands out in the darb snow. Staring straight into Arioch, only when the guard kicks is she forced to kneel. Unable to accept such ridiculous scene, Theodore tightens the reins. Yet, Alderic's hand was blocked before the doctor. Staying solemnly, Alderic raises the stoic tone, "You know the price, Arioch. I'm sure your father has taught you well." Watching the little show, Arioch let out an amusing smile. The cold stare moved to hateful Theodore. If only Alderic were destroyed, he could easily crush all of these amateurs in this palm. "Don't be fooled by him. She was stronger than you think." A firm reminder from Reid retrieves fragments of his usual calmness. Fixing on her, how come he never realizes? The inexorable will have awakened in the little apprentice he protected all those years. How could he not see the seed of revenge nurtured in her bleeding heart? On that burning day, that man killed her love, killed the old Cecil. How could they not see, hidden behind those soft crimson curls, the delights of ending the prey?

"How about we play a little game, brother?" Arioch smiled. "But a game is no fun without risks." Nothing good ever comes out of that devilish mouth, Alderic sure. Disgust crept into the warriors behind his back. "If you want to run, then go. I have no intention of playing with you." Alderic threatens. "Still childish. Maybe that's why your lowborn mother died." The hand holding the silver sword tightens. Pointing at an observer nearby, King of Hyram continues, "What we do today will forever be written in history, forever immortal with time." A dangerous smirk curved. "Whoever wins shall have both continents." A concussive statement. An utterly arrogant man blindly believed in a final victory. "Alderic, you shouldn't-" Reid's voice stops in mid-air. "Then we shall play this final power game." Alderic smiled in return. "Just like we used to."

The command of Alderic ripped through the stillness of the air, hissing, "Charge!" Gripping their shields and spears tight. Immediately, the front proceeds to move forward one step at a time, following them is another line already pointing the spear high, to the enemies they come.

On the rival side lies King Arioch, smirking at the seemingly absurd scene before raising his hand to the solemn man on the black horse. In no time did the knights of Hyram, darting to Averi, fully display their obnoxious grins, as if surely knowing their opponents would die. The sides collapse into one, harmonizing in the dance of war. "For freedom!" Their shout lingering in the stream of snow, bearing all hopes and dreams rested at the tip of the spear and blades, now with invincible strength granted, comes. Swords met swords, only the clanking and grunting could be heard from the battlefield's heart. Blood met sweat, only the familiar scent lingered. Alderic was already racing with the speed of an arrow, and the silver blade dyed the color of snow complemented the emerald pearls' bathed determination. Under these scared hands, he promises to slay every single one of them. Clearing a rose path ahead, joining him from behind is Theodore who draws a clean move. Thud. The sharp blade reached deep inside a man's heart, only when he stopped squirming helplessly did the weapon pull out. Leaving behind the blood-dripping sword are the frightened lines on the already collapsed corpse. Then comes another one.