Chapter 48

After crossing the streets of the capital, their journey stops at the commoners' areas. A place for lowly residents, to sell their lives to the nobles for little pennies. Those pennies were worth their sweat and blood, reluctantly helping them live through days of miserable life. And now, with such ridiculous laws from the Imperial Castle, the once glamorous city is nothing but a filthy, chaotic place with all kinds of people and crimes. All are run in a cycle of never-ending suffering. "Are you sure this is the right place?" Sheritre's voice trembled as she instinctively grabbed Cecil's arm tightly. Her silver eyes scanned the surroundings with caution. Patting her hand with reassurance, Cecil nodded lightly. Fortunately, the children are obedient enough to stay and protect the shack. God knows what kind of danger they faced if they insisted on joining them. Still, from the disturbing scenes they passed by, the sight of people dying for salvation, the sight of people being slaughtered in daylight, Cecil can't help but admire Reid's bravery. Theodore is indeed fortunate to have him as an ally.

Through a few more blocks, the destination lies ahead. From afar, the brothel is now dyed in a rare somber aura, contrary to the exquisite appearance it should have. "Something's wrong," she said, her voice echoing in the air. Sheritre is now already in defense, only nodding in agreement. They have arrived. Before their sight was a brothel, all in the remnants, certainly counting the final days before forever vanished from this world. With each step they take, thoughts flood the two's minds. What will await them on the other side? Will this be the answer they need? More importantly, will they succeed? There's no way back now. To involve this far, relying on themselves alone can only produce the desired outcome.

To their surprise, the brothel is.... Empty. Indeed, the usual abhorrent scenes now only belong to the past. The brothel has lost its most crucial meaning, that of seeking pleasure. Ironically, itself is the same as the pleasure, trivial. In the end, survivability weighs more than a temporary climax. However, there are two surprises as to why it falls in such a short period of time. Now, nothing is left but a dusty bar with a woman left alone on a stool, drenched in alcohol, searching for the last strands of salvation to escape reality. Without even turning back, a strained voice speaks out, "Go find somewhere else for fun, this place is closing down." Cecil and Sheritre, clearly unmoved by the warning, stood still at the entrance. "I said-" the woman said as she abruptly stood up to confront the stubborn customers, until... She noticed the two girls. "What are you here for? We can't hire any others." The stranger pierces them one by one, from head to toe. In a solemn tone, Cecil asks, "Are you, Lady Camille?" Replying back is a tired answer, "Yes, but it's long gone, for now, I'm no one." The girls gazed at each other and then continues. " We are here on behalf of Theodore."

The moment the woman heard that name, "Theodore," her demeanor somehow shifted into a more welcoming one. "Ah, Theodore, an old friend. Come on in. Please take a seat." Cecil and Sheritre make their way into the velvet armchairs. "I will go fetch some tea." "We thank you for your hospitality, but Lady Camille, what we need to discuss is extremely urgent," Sheritre reassured. The woman, now stopped in mid-stride, swiftly returned to her favorite lounge chair. "What do I need to know?" Lady Camille leans against the headrest. Her eyes are as melancholy as the brothel itself. "What's more to be done?"

"Judgement." A simple word just like that, certainly sends Lady Camille laughing out loud and echoes throughout the whole place. How childish they are to carry what they call "judgment." "And you think that is possible?" She continues to laugh hysterically as if hearing a joke. Cecil exchanged a glance with Sheritre, then the brown notebook slammed hard on the wooden table. Without a shadow of a doubt, it has attracted Camille's attention. Still, a sincere smile was carved into her face. "Will this change anything?" To the duo, seemingly unmoved by the act, "Read it." The brothel owner, flipping through pages, only in complete shock, stays until the end, hesitantly. "How-how can you get these?" Cecil began to establish a deal. "If you get them out to the light, this could put everything to an end, and I promise you a reward you've always dreamed of, revenge." Sheritre, who is trying to confront Cecil, "Isn't it too dangerous? A teetering empire and a chaotic capital are inevitable."

Lady Camille revealed a slight grin, "It's already Hell here, sweetheart." "I guess adding a little more oil to the blaze won't hurt anything."

...

Soon enough, the truth spread to every corner of Averi. Just as they speculated, this piece of news stirred the whole country into chaos. The lowly folks, who spent all their lives being treated like objects, finally fight back. Raising their forgotten voice, they fight against those who have, despite their nature, become their family. The axes and polearms slashed deep into the flesh of the guards and nobles, bathing the capital in blood and the flame of revolution. Separated, they are nothing but tools. United, they are unstoppable. Together, they wished to see his blood, the King... No, the devil of Averi. For they could never accept the King they served for life as nothing but a bastard, having the blood of a prostitute, sitting on the mighty throne. How ironic it be, for the golden crown strained by this filthy blood, for generations of Averi's golden history crumbled by this humiliation. His resignation, his death, they ask. No, for all the crimes he has committed, through hell they wished to see. To be burning in the eternal flame of hell's wrath. To taste all the suffering, all the agony the innocent souls have been through by his greed and lust. Finally, with the power of the truth, they have found the light at the end of the tunnel.

...

Looking out of the window, sea of people raising their weapons high. Their fury, their flame, shines in the dark night, pointing at this once-scared Imperial Castle, the symbol of power. What a chaotic scene indeed... exactly what I look forward to seeing. Seeing the fury painted on each of the miserable faces, I can't help to hide this pleasant smile, slowly curving. The angrier they are, the closer I get to my goal. Oh God Aon, how kind was he to bless my destiny. Blow my soul in his victorious wind. Burn, burn him in your wrath. Devour till his last drop of blood, for he is nothing but a puppet, losing himself in power. How pitiful, this was his fate from the start. But it was he, who chose to speed up to the bad ending. It's he to blame, not me. Sipping a glass of red wine, its sweet yet bitter aroma filled my throat.

"Master, I have some urgent matters to report," the voice of my apprentice echoed from behind. His solemn eyes try to hide rays of sanity while waiting for my reply. My dear failed experiment, a young boy has nothing but stubborn enduring, nurturing envy. How beautifully he has become one of my chest pieces. "I have investigated your order and found out the source of the news." Coldly, he continued, " A woman named Camille, owner of the brothel." A brothel, I laughed out loud. How laughable the world has changed for even a brothel could easily find out the shocking truth of this land. And that woman, how many men she has slept with to get that piece of that information? Truly convenient to just decorate yourself deliciously on the bed to dig out what you want. "Leave her, I need to reward her after all." Just when I was about to leave for an urgent meeting, he gave me the news. An interesting one. "I see her, a Wennefer." Wennefer, what a nostalgic name. Exist like a tumor despite how many times I have killed. "Take her to me," I command.

This time, my dear Wennefer. I won't let you escape easily like your mother.

"Sheritre, could you wait for me? I have some matters to ask Lady Camille." Cecil asked in a hurry. Though they have finished the mission, there must be something urgent to make her act that way. Leaving Sheritre no choice but to nod obediently. Leaning on the brick wall, she quietly looks up at the sky. The sky tonight is darker than usual as if it's trying to hide away the stars, hide away the answer she is trying to find. A sense of insecurity rose in her heart. A few more minutes passed by, making her can't help but wonder what took Cecil so long. Then a familiar voice, all of a sudden, appears from the darkness. A boy who shared the same home as her at the mansion, saved by Theodore. A boy she has never officially met but knows quite well. "Nolan? You are alive?" Giving her a light smile, he scratched his head, "I was lucky. Come with me, Cecil is waiting for us." Cecil? How could he know? No, there is something strange about him. Every cell screamed inside, telling her to run, run now. " What's wrong?" He approaches. Wasting no time, Sheritre runs, trying to escape from him. Through the streets, she tries to hide in the darkness. Just when she was relieved to see no one behind, a strong arm caught her swiftly. Not even letting her have a second to scream. Knocking on her unconsciousness, he drags into the dark alley.

"No offense, Wennefer. But the master has ordered."