Chapter 12

Theodore's eyes fly open, and he abruptly sits up as if waking up from eternal sleep. In an attempt to inhale as much air as his lungs could hold while taking in all he could see, just to anchor himself back to reality. The serene scenery of the forest, along with its scent and the freshness of the flora when it's raining, definitely helps in calming his strained nerves, for all that it takes quite a while for him to settle down until he sees... that man. It is no one else but Alderic, who is lying lifelessly on the cold ground, welcomes him, as fragile as a leaf.

NO...NO...

Although his stiff body won't allow him to move around with ease, it is still sufficient enough for him to reach the opened medical box. There was nothing out of the ordinary about it, despite being quite packed. The kit features two large, stacked-up compartments with several divided sections for equipment and medicine; the bandage pads are nowhere to be found on the bottom, and for now, it only has several syringes. Theodore swiftly rushed back to Alderic with all the remaining strength, thoroughly examining his exhausted body for any injuries, and the sight of the bloodied snake bite caught his attention. The icy skin of Alderic only made his heart sink even more. A man, as courageous and skilled as him, did not deserve such a lame end. When Theodore placed his hand on the neck, the tired heart was still on the edge of keeping him alive. Never dared to let go.

Gripping the hands tightly, "Alderic, please... Please stay with me." The trembling hand tried its best to pull out one of the syringes, along with a clear liquid vial. "I hope this will work." Theodore pumps the liquid, then injects it directly into his right thigh. Alderic's body is shaking. "Alderic, I know this is very uncomfortable, but I need you to bear with me." Alderic suddenly grips Theodore's arm with his life, so tight that it becomes painful. His hoarse voice wailed in pain. The doctor left him no choice but to hold him down, waiting for the tense moment to pass. It... hurts to see someone close in such a state. It hurts more than anything in the world. The feeling of powerlessness, hopelessly embracing whatever happens next.

He waits. He patiently waits. Hand on the forehead. Keep close to any movements of the body. Alderic no longer has seizures, but still, it's hard to tell whether he is in a coma or not.

Will he wake up?

They are the only questions dominating Theodore's mind right now, yet thinking about them makes him sick.

Seconds after seconds

Minutes after minutes

Hours after hours

The clock is ticking.

Show me how arrogant you always are

You have always despised death, don't you...

Eventually...

Theodore's efforts finally pay off, Alderic's grip starts to loosen, and the rapidity soon eases into a steady and slow breath. The firelight dancing on his cheek, allows Theodore to finally see his face clearly. As if he realized something, Theodore quickly grabs a cloth, whipping away the sparkling drops of sweat falling from his hair. While falling asleep, Alderic definitely gives a different feel. Under the dim light of the fire, he appears with a rather soft look. Maybe there is one word to describe Alderic's appearance, charming. Like a gemstone, unable to look away. The emerald eyes rest under the loose black hair, behind the long eyelashes. Those eyes have always been full of complexity that put Theodore in a state he couldn't understand, yet those gems only gave him the most tender feeling he could get. Deep down, an insecure feeling can't help but hold his breath; a greed to see those eyes again has captured his heart. Why? How does that matter? Theodore can't seem to find the answer. Trailing down from his high nose, the navy eyes rest on the thin lips. Provoking, challenging, and God knows how many more have come from these alluring lips, certainly send Theodore a slight giggle. Then, a faint scratch, a flaw in the masterpiece, captured his attention. Yet, a strange feeling bloomed inside his barren soul, guiding his hand along the imperfection. Wait... What am I doing? His hand stops in mid-air, only a few millimeters away from Alderic's lips. Theodore can feel the heat slowly burning his cheeks. He takes a deep breath, and luckily, the freshness of the rain can somehow refresh his mind.

Thank you, Theodore, for staring at the fire, and for not giving up on me.

"Ugh..." Alderic wailed as he awakened from unconsciousness, "I feel like I have gone through Hell." His injured hand suddenly throbbed, enough to deepen the frown, and Alderic grimaced in pain. "That's the normal reaction, soon it will pass," Theodore replies while putting away the medicine. His emerald eyes wide open in shock, he gets up immediately to confirm his doubts. And there he stays, the usual gentle Theodore he sees every day, his navy eyes looking at him softly. "You scared me, Dr.," Alderic said, his gaze fixed on Theodore, "Please don't do that to me again," he said, sighing. Theodore nodded, giving Alderic an assuring smile.

"That's my guy," he said with a bright grin, "because I don't think I can handle it twice." Hearing those words brought joy to Theodore's heart, especially after witnessing such a heartbreaking scene before, and he finally felt at ease. What's more is that this is the one that saved him from the hand of death, cared for him, and protected him at the cost of nearly being defeated because of the snake bite. He is forever grateful for what Alderic has done. Yet, seeing him smile and receive the praise has left Theodore a bit flustered. Theodore hid his nervousness with all his might. Fortunately, Alderic did not notice any of them.

...

"What a pity," Alderic sighed, "It seemed I had lost the competition." His voice clearly shows his disappointment, which, on the contrary, sends Theodore in surprise. Alderic may not match Luke's physique, but judging by speed, skills, and strategy, Luke still has a long way to go. In a showcase of skills like this, victory must be in his sight. Unless... "You lose because of me?" Theodore can feel his throat drying. He hugged his right arm, rubbing it all over, while his head was lower. The navy eyes seem to wander somewhere else, avoiding the man. Without a doubt, the typical posture of one who is caught doing something wrong.

"Yes and no," Alderic observed, "I'm not interested in this whole thing from the start; I just want to mess with Luke." What's wrong with you, brain?  Theodore thinks to himself while maintaining his normal self. Alderic then continues, "During the hunt, a nurse told us that you were missing while going into the forest." Alderic suddenly stops, and shyly glances at the nearby rock, avoiding Theodore. "The only thing in my head is to find you, and the next thing I know is that I am running like a maniac trying to search for your sight." To Alderic's surprise, Theodore slowly walks towards him. He gently pats his hand, whispering, "Thank you," his navy eyes filled with adoration. "Thank you, for finding me." A strange heat is forming between them. Is it from his burning cheeks or the warmth of the fire now spreading? Nevertheless, the man before him remains silent as well, although a hint of redness appears in his ears.

"Alderic, may I borrow your hand a bit?" Alderic was stunned for a second, then nodded. The next thing he knows, Theodore's soft lips gently kiss his hand, creating a strange kind of feeling stirring inside that he has not yet understood. As if his whole body has shut down, Alderic stays immobile even when Theodore's lips have gone away, which sends Theodore on the edge of his seat, wondering if he did anything wrong. After taking a while, trying to acknowledge what just happened, Alderic finally says something, "Can you do it again? It's like I just heard the birds chipping and the flowers are blooming around me." A deadly smile formed on Theodore's face. "In your dream." Leaving go of Alderic's hand, Theodore busies himself with fueling the fire. What he didn't notice was Alderic, secretly staring at his hand, the emerald eyes hinting at faint regret. "Domine, scintilla alienationis." He whispered.

"Theodore, I don't know what you have been through, and I have no rights." Alderic keeps his voice low, low enough that only Theodore can hear. "But I am glad that you are back, safe and sound."

"I-"

"What are you two doing here?" A young boy appears at the entrance, his voice apathetic. "Never in my wildest dreams do I believe you would do something like that, Theodore."