Chapter 68

Moonlight rests on the leather map, caressing the elegant hands of the young man. Holding the chess piece, the man muses in his world of thoughts. A light knock breaks the silence, steps in a knight. "Your Majesty, news from Averi." A hand gesture motions him to continue, "Averi has a new King. The puppet and the Teacher have been discarded." The news indeed sent a glimpse of astonishment to the man. The emerald eyes fixed cruelly on the map. "Bring me some papers and a pen." The knight bows, then leaves instantly. 'How fast this world changed,' the man smiled. Eventually, he was drawn to power as well. Family tradition? He presumed. The King piece in his hand is placed firmly at the heart of Averi. Like father like sons, they never failed to amuse.

"I can't wait to see you again, brother." Arioch smirked coldly.

Let us begin, the battle of the Kings.

Flipping through pages at the fingertips is the figure of Reid, who is lying comfortably on his bed to digest one of the many books he has read. Tonight, he was accompanied by a steaming cup of tea—a cozy atmosphere indeed. Nevertheless, it is a complete contrast to the world just outside that window, icy, violent, and full of grief, and for him to be able to enjoy such a moment must be a gift from God. Yet the moment of silence does not last that long, not until Alderic barges through the door in Reid's awe, and without letting the surprised man slip out any words, he speaks, "Something's urgent! We have to go now!" Still, in his rapid breath and the words struggling to slip out from his trembling lips, a nod from Reid is all that's left before the two dashes to where awaits them.

The moment the duo arrived, the sight of everyone greeted them. By the look on their faces, something is surely unpleasant. Alderic walks to Theodore, wrapping the doctor's hands in his, he smiles in relief. "I missed you!" A kiss softly placed on his hand. It's been a week since their last momentary meets, never he hoped they would meet again under such circumstances. "Take a look Alderic, this is dedicated to you." Sheritre turns to the letter, now placed on the round table. Nothing good comes when that name comes. A brief second from the letter is all it takes to send a glimpse of concern into those emerald eyes. Looking at Evelyn for confirmation, the young Queen nods solemnly, "This is truly his ring seal."

"Time is not on our side." The breath of corruption and the wicked, already plaguing the home of the sacred lion, for now, to be ravaged beyond time and space. Unsurprisingly, the lion is no competitor to the dragon's inferno. Her eyes rest on the letter. A letter of fire and demolition. War is declared. Will it be the right time to start a war? Her friends, her allies she can't afford to lose them. Knowing Arioch more than anyone, brutal tricks are what he is fond of. Stubborn as he is, he shall not stop till this kingdom drowns in the sea of flame.

A hand was placed on her shoulder, sending a comforting tone. "No matter your decision, we will be on your side." Alderic fixed on her with a determined glance. "Don't let him or anyone shake your will." Lifting her head, the encouraging sight of everyone fueled her with power. The decision has been made just to await her to execute. That's right, even when the future ahead is hidden in darkness, they can't back down. "My brother dares to challenge my kingdom, dares to question my authority."

"If war is what he seeks. Then shall be it." Her solemn voice carries absolute supremacy. A command as each of them kneeled down before her. "O'hail the Queen."

Snow starts to fall, covering Averi in pure white in the people's awe. For years, they could see the presence of snowflakes dancing in the thin air. Little did they know, the clock of prophecy had started. From the gate of the castle, steps in a lion. With its fur bearing the light of the sun, its dazzling shades of eyes are vibrant. The bronze mane flew free in the piercing wind, lies the majestic beast. The Guardian has finally returned. A force, no, an aura of absolute dominance, called for each of them to kneel before the lion's steps. Through the stairs, the lion comes to the throne chamber, to the sight of the Queen. Its sight sends those cowards into utter fright. Stopping before her feet, the lion crouched. Reaching out her hands, Evelyn softly caresses its soft fur. A sense of familiarity with an old friend washed over her mind. As if she has witnessed this scene multiple times, as if her heart harmonizes, aching yet delighted. The moment her hands lay on the lion, history whispered to her ears. Of the myth, of the truth, and of the divine duty of the Heir, the child of the stars.

"Welcome back!" She whispers with a warm smile.

The golden lion has returned to the hands of the Heir.

The judgment of the betrayed dragon shall come.