Chapter 62

Alone in the dark and cold cell with only a companion from above - the moon, Sheritre thought in this god-forsaken place, prayers and hopes all dissipated. A little window is what they have to see a fraction of this world, or perhaps a dreadful image of it. She leans against the tainted wall with the will to survive slowly fading, and here comes the aching body, trembling from being used as a tool for seconds, hours, or days, just for his own good. And that's the life of a living soul who can peek into the future, to see and experience, yet waiting at the end of an expired object is a pathetic epilogue. Sheritre sure knew her fate, the tortured mind no longer sought salvation, and for now, she was rolling back the last bits of joy in her memory, Theodore, Cecil, and Lily, then Luke—together, it felt like a family. "Sing me to sleep with your warm voices... See you on the neverland."  With her eyelids giving up, Sheritre drifts into a soothing sleep.

Not until once again jolted awake by the sound of violence, in tiresome, could she hear metal collisions, grunting then screaming. Something is coming. The girl curled herself in the corner, and in no time a strange voice came up, asking, "Why do both of you still stand here? There's a battle outside!" A man in a servant's outfit called out for the two guards in front of her cell. "It's an order from the high priest to summon any knights to the chaos outside!" he continued, as both of them exchanged glances before returning their attention to the servant in surprise. Whatever his intentions, the remaining knights swiftly evade, leaving him and the priest alone. To her surprise, the door is finally unlocked, and Sheritre's sight meets the hand of the servant.

"Follow me. We do not have much time left!"

"W-Who are you?" Responding to her utter shock is a calm tone, "Answers come to the worthy, our true Priest of Averi."

...

Growling, the soldiers on the horses run to the assigned destination. Cutting through the forest, their blades ready to destroy anything, anyone dared to block their path. They're looking for the doctor, and they're searching from the forest's edge to deeper within it. The traitor, the criminal of Averi, gives himself into the dragon's hands. The neighing of the horses speaks for their fury. After hours of searching, finally, a shack caught their attention. A humble shelter hides the most dangerous man.

Busted the entrance, a doctor casually sips tea and welcomes them. From his droopy eyes to the distant aura, nothing was said of frightening, nor was he the terrified criminal they had always been told. The doctor is surprisingly cooperative, as the only thing he asked before being tied was to finish the tea. "It will be such a waste not to enjoy." He said so solemnly to the confused guards. Not just the strange doctor, the shack is completely empty and lacks any useful documents proving his guilt. For a moment, it seems the man they are capturing is just a normal doctor. But it was never them to make the decisions.

Throughout the trip back to the Imperial Castle, he barely said anything. Despite the threatening attitudes of the guards and death waiting at the end, calmness never leaves his sight. Like a still lake, he enjoys the changes in the winter of the forest. The chained hand reaches out gently for a falling leaf. As if all this fuss belonged to someone else. From his harmless actions to his trustworthy appearance, the soldier soon lets the guard down.

Soon, that will be their biggest mistake.

Today is no normal day. In people's excitement, colorful flags and flowers cover the sky. Cheerful songs and dances breathe new life into the capital. The church's bell resounded with its soothing sound, sending the white pigeons flying across the sky. There is no melancholy, no suffering, but only joy painted over their faces. Dance till exhaustion, eat until you are full, for today is the day of the god Aon, who protected Averi with his mercy. In the formal custom of the High Priest, he is indeed the most important figure. They praised the messenger—no, the descendant of god Aon himself, who smiled saintly at each soul. Nolan, his loyal student, leans in for a whisper. They never know, that behind the deep smile is a devil's scheme.

It doesn't take long for them to know the reason behind that smile.

"High Priest," a guard bows at him, "We have brought the traitor as ordered." Behind them, reveals his dear apprentice. Those same navy eyes bore into his bones with the same emotionless expression he had grown accustomed to. The same sleeping beast he has created. How nostalgic to see how little he has changed in the absence of his caring hands. "Welcome back, my dear apprentice." His hand traced along Theodore's face. "I have missed you." Remaining silent, Theodore barely shows any different emotions before the priest. Without respect and worship like the others, or being terrified like some, the priest simply doesn't exist in those navy eyes. Only he knows a beast is calculating its moves under that cold mask. Under his fury, a guard kicks Theodore to the ground, cursing him to pay respect. Only to receive a motion from the priest, and command him to stop. "He's just a shy kid." The priest helps Theodore up while Nolan drags that soldier into a corner. 

"Don't be mad." He dusts away the dirt from Theodore's clothes. "I have prepared a welcome back gift that surely you will enjoy."

The entirety of Averi's scene unfolds before him as he drags his chains to the podium. All of its people look at the man with complexity. Theodore doesn't have to turn around to know, there is a guillotine behind. Rains of colorful flags and flowers continue to fall in the white pigeons' songs. "What a creative way to die," Theodore thinks to himself. Soon, the executioner stepped up. Wearing a black hood, he yells, "The traitor has been captured by our wise priest." The crowds fall into silence, all eyes are on Theodore. "He will pay for his greed, for the Crown's destruction." The executioner raised his knife high. "Today, we will celebrate with his blood, in the name of God Aon!" Waves of cheers rise.

Standing straight, even just two steps away from death, Theodore appears to be apathetic. So that's how it is. Even though they have tried everything to dig out the truth, even the sacrifice has been made. None of them were able to take down that snake. How ironic was that for being the one accused of all those hideous sins at this moment? A truly ideal scheme. He expected nothing less from the admirable teacher. "You never failed to disappoint me," he said to the man smiling victoriously on the honored seat.

Seat tight, Teacher. and enjoy the most perfect show of your best apprentice.

A smirk curled.