¢hptr3 : 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘖𝘕𝘌 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯

◂◊◎◊▸

"Finally home are you, you brat?"

Nanami raised her hands up in front of her defensively, "I-I had club! It was sudden! I didn't have the chance to call you!"

He paused, "club?"

"Volleyball"

His expression that was stern earlier, froze up for a second in shock and then frowned, "Nami,-"

She took off her shoes in the meantime and walked past him, carrying her bag like a sack over her shoulder, losing the casual stylish one-strap way in which she carried it at school, "Boys'. I know. You don't have to remind me. I wouldn't go there even if I had the choice. I haven't for quite some time." her voice lost all color, and just sounded... numb.

He turned in place following her movements and stayed silent without responding.

His face hardened suddenly and flared up when he remembered the main point.

Nanami froze in her tracks with a sweatdrop, changing the subject didn't work huh?

"But you still didn't answer any of my calls young lady!"

"It was in the locker!"

"You're just becoming more and more irresponsible-"

"No no no no, wait, aren't you supposed to be in bed?!" she said turning to face him, "Jii-san, you just got discharged. You even left your coaching job at school."

"I just took a break, don't change the subject."

"I'm not, I'll give you a rain check on my lecture, just get back to bed, please."

"No-" and there it came, the coughing. She hurried forward worriedly, took the Shinai from him to the side, and tried to help him.

But he's just that stubborn. He pushed her shoulder away while still coughing, "I don't need help."

He grumpily and still passive aggressively walked back to the living room on the right.

He frown sighed, "No Ukai's ever weak. You nag too much. And I didn't give up coaching."

"Who's the one uselessly nagging this Ukai about being only a little late. Even I'm not so weak that some pesky mugger can take advantage of me."

"What do you mean uselessly. You-"

"Brat" she finished, "I'll keep being a brat until you recover. Why did you even get the Shinai out? Did you plan on chasing me like a year back in this condition? Don't kid me." Nanami pushed a glass of water into his aged hands.

He paused and his wrinkles aged a few years while trying to give in reluctantly. "But it's not useless-"

"III- left my phone- accidentally- in the locker for just a few hours. Calm down, we're only in our town and I walked back home with a female senpai and Keishin's shop is close to here on the way here from school. Even if you worry, you're being too paranoid about it."

He stayed silent for a moment, "you said you joined the boy's volley club. How're those brats doing?" he drank some of the water, pretending like he wasn't at the same time.

She had heard a lot about said 'brats' from him over the past year which was why she knew about Asahi and Nishinoya. Although she did know their names, she never saw their faces before to associate with the names. So, she really didn't know who they were till the introductions.

Her other name was Nanami Ukai.

Haruka is her mother's maiden name and she stuck with it to hide her identity at school. Ukai would attract a lot more attention in a local school like that than Haruka would, unlike anywhere outside. And hopefully, it will continue not attracting attention as long as the girls volleyball team doesn't find out her whole name.