Chapter 1: Archaeology Conference, Washington, DC, Dinner at Hotel Bar, 1960

Indiana Jones and his eighteen year old daughter Dr. Emily Jones entered the dining area. The lights were low and a woman crooned a love song into a microphone. All eyes were on her... except Indy.

"Dad?" Emily asked, "Is there something wrong?"

"No. You just look lovely this evening. A lot like your mother."

Emily smiled. "You shouldn't have left her back in Wyoming, Dad."

"I know... but Marion would be bored here. And after all the chaos of getting your sister, her kids and you settled back at the house, I thought you might need some dad and daughter adventure." Indy smiled. "Even if it is just a conference."

A waiter led them to a table in the back of the room, along the side of the building with tall windows overlooking the street. Plush curtains covered some of the noise from the still bustling city below. The waiter seated them, delivering menus, "I will return in a few moments to take your orders, sir, madame."

"Thank you," Indy smiled.

As the waiter left Emily set the menu aside. "Dad...?"

"I see them," Indy lowered his voice. There were shadows climbing along the side of the building and moving among the dim lights as the nightclub singer crooned.

"What are ninjas doing here? We haven't even been here long enough to cause trouble!" 

"I think we're gonna find out." Indy loosened his tie, his hand moving under his suit jacket to his shoulder holster. "You armed?"

"Always." Emily replied. "Even under a skirt. Spare ammo in my purse."

"That's my girl," Indy grinned. "Try not to fire in here."

"Got it, Dad. I know my gun safety rules."

Indy leaned forward across the table, as if he hadn't seen the ninjas encircling them. "Dear, Miss Dr. Jones, do you want to eat in, or take out?"

"Let's do take out!" Emily swung her fist past Indy's head and slugged the nearest ninja.