Chapter 69: Flight to Kamchatka 1960

Flight to Kamchatka

1960

Inside Shorty's Plane

Emily made her way to the cockpit of the plane, seating herself in the copilot's seat, grinning at her father. Indy returned the grin, helplessly smitten and paternally proud.

As the plane leveled off, Shorty checked his watch. "We should beat dawn there - but not by much. What took you so long?"

Emily smiled as Indy stood almost in the cockpit, between their two seats. "I had to convince Grandpa to give me the swords." She slung them off her shoulders and rested the quiver-like container against her knee. Four sword handles were contained securely inside their own scabbard within the small tube-like over the shoulder pack.

"All of them fit in there?" Shorty asked.

"Yeah. It was made for all seven of them. We only have four. It rolls out like a scroll and I can reach any one of the swords I choose while its still on my back," Emily smiled. "Backpack and scabbard - best of both. And not too heavy." She looked at Indy in cheesy adoration. "I've got your shoulder width and Mom's charm."

"So how did you convince the professor?" Indy asked.

"He quizzed me on Abner's work."

Indy blinked. "How do you know Abner's work?"

"I needed something to read on the flight home from Berlin. And Annie had the books, so I read them."

"All of them...?"

Emily gave a shrug. "There were only five. Mom found out and said there were more in our attic. So I read a few more on the way out to the conference."

"What was I doing?" Indy asked.

"On the way home from Berlin you were... uh... catching up with Mom, not sleeping... and on the way to the archaeology conference you were sleeping." Emily paused. "There was one more book that Grandpa had - but he said he doesn't loan books to you because they come back with pages missing and autographed by maniacal dictators...?"

Indy rubbed the stubble on his face, still finding himself sweaty from the experience. "Yeah. Hitler signed the grail diary. What else was I supposed to do? I didn't want him grading my uniform. Failed that test in 1936. Had to knock the guy out."

"Oh. And I told Grandpa to call Mom."

Indy groaned. "Em...? Why? If she finds out we're both grounded! For decades!"

Emily shrugged. "I figured it was better than lying to her... Daaaaad."

"I'm not lying... I'm just... not communicating," Indy mumbled with a shrug.

"Dad -" Emily warned moving into a lecture tone, which apparently was genetic. "You and Mom have been back together for a month. The last time you didn't communicate I was five. And it took until last month for you two to patch it up, so I told Grandpa to call, because if someone doesn't let Mom know where we are she'll find you and throw you into the nearest chasm."

"Right," Indy muttered. "Been there, done that."

"A month is not a secure relationship," Emily finished. "You taught me that."

Shorty nearly spit his coffee across the control panel. "Wasn't there a certain blonde night club singer...?"

"Shut up, Shorty," Indy warned.

Emily looked Shorty. "Who screamed all the time? Yeah. I cornered her with a giant centipede, she confessed and I went after Dad on his expedition."

Indy mumbled something.

"What was that?" They both asked.

"I am so glad I didn't have to raise you two together. The chaos would've been..."

"Outstanding!" They both answered, sounding remarkably like Professor Henry Jones Senior.

"How is Professor Jones going to call?" Shorty asked Emily.

"He's in an ancient ruin. In the middle of nowhere. He can't call." Indy sounded relieved.

"The artifact bunker is partially funded by the Israeli military," Emily grinned. "He's got better technology than Mac. He can call Mom, no problem."