Chapter 23: University of Penn Museum, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, USA, 1960

"What was the creature on that rock?" Shorty asked.

"That was one of the Mesopotamian apkallu," Indy answered. "They're supposed to be divine sages that helped humanity - but after what I saw today - they're helping no one but themselves, and Doc Heiser was right. The apkallu are the imprisoned rebellious divine council."

"But, that's Ancient Mesopotamia - not Asia," Emily frowned.

"And our adventure was in India," Shorty added. "That's not near Babylon at all."

Indy swallowed. "From what they told me, they traveled, picking up followers wherever they could, taking territories like modern armies, adjusting their images and mythologies to the people they were supposed to be serving. They said I brought the artifacts back, and the museum is now like their temple."

"It makes sense," Emily mused. "The ancient people did believe their gods needed a body to house them in, which is why they had a ceremony to open the idol's mouth and sort of give it power."

"So... did you break their idol?" Shorty grinned.

Indy looked at his broken arm, then at the shattered rock bearing the image of the apkallu. "Maybe?"

"Isn't there a story about the Ark of Covenant and its presence taking territory of an enemy temple by cracking its god into pieces?" Emily asked.

"There is," Indy admitted. "But according to the ancient Israelites, the whole world is a spiritual turf war between good and evil."

"But how do you fight a spiritual war?" Emily mused, looking at Indy's broken arm. "You certainly can't punch it."

Indy smiled. "Doc Heiser would tell you that spiritual warfare is speaking truth to lies."

"Like when I yelled, 'Indy I love you!' - in the Temple of Doom and it got you out of the trance?" Shorty asked.

"Yeah," Indy replied. He turned to Emily. "I heard you calling for me earlier today."

"I'm not afraid of them, Dad. I don't know why - but I'm not."

"Keep that bravery, Em - you may have to share it with me next time I face these bastards."