Chapter 144: Edo's Camp,Kamchatka Wilderness, 1960

Edo's Camp

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Russia

1960

Lizavet took a quiet breath to settle herself. "Treasure guardian of this realm, conqueror of the imprisoned apkallu, be with me. Give me your strength and courage to challenge evil so that your wise work will not be undone." Her hand made an odd motion, as if pushing aside a curtain and she ran into the supernatural unseen realm.

The ninjas didn't see her. Edo and his goons were focused on the ritual.

Lizavet raced through them, unseen by the men.

An apkallu rose out of the volcanic pit. "Kill her."

Edo turned and saw no one.

Indy stared, watching Lizavet stand directly in front of Edo. "How is she doing that? They can't see her."

"Neither can I!" Shorty scrambled trying to see around the supplies.

Emily and Indy yanked him down.

Lizavet materialized, pulling the swords from Edo's belt. "These do not belong to evil!"

From behind her the apkallu rushed forward, roaring out of the lava pit, rising above everyone.

Indy, Em and Shorty pulled back in terror.

"There's nothing natural about that," Emily whispered.

"It's - its got a face!" Shorty stammered.

"They've all got faces," Indy growled, looking around trying to decide what the best weapons would be -

Lizavet pivoted, thrust both swords forward and stabbed the apkallu.

Sparks flew.

The apkallu collapsed into the lava.

A lava tsunami rose out of the pit.

"Run!" Indy yelled.

Shorty and Emily bolted.

Indy stood his ground. "Lizavet? Lizavet!"

Lizavet gave a sudden scream.

Indy went for his whip, rushing forward.

The ninjas were surrounding Lizavet, eyes blazing in a supernatural hate.

Indy jumped into the fray... knowing exactly what was behind every ninja. His voice dropped and he dissolved into an ancient language but he had no idea what he was saying.

Lizavet stared, watching the apkallu turn to the archaeologist.

"Dr. Jones?" She whispered. "Why do you speak their ancient language too?"