Chapter 46: Flashback: Hospital, Wyoming, 1942

Hospital

Wyoming

1942

Marion's fury was reduced to adoration. She held the tiny baby girl and traced her features. Dark curly hair, tiny fists, chubby build with her father's height and large feet with elongated second toe.

Henry came into the room. "They think I'm the father."

Marion laughed. "Leave it to the hospital to get confused on the basics."

Annie was hanging onto his leg.

"Annie," Marion smiled. "Want to meet your new baby sister?"

Annie drew close, then shook her head and hid behind Henry. "Grandpa? That doesn't look like a person!"

Henry and Marion smiled.

"Annie," Marion said again. "Its all right. You looked like this too a long time ago."

"Oh." Annie peeked at the bundle. "I guess I'll get used to it. When does it do stuff?"

"Not for awhile, dear," Marion replied.

"Did you and my son discuss names?" Henry asked.

Marion shook her head. "He's mentioned a few, but nothing really stood out."

Henry smiled at the small bundle. "She's got your dark hair, but she's -"

"She's got her father's trouble," Marion grinned. "That's who this one takes after. I've known it since the beginning."

"I'm partial to the ancient Roman Latin name Emmaline," Henry announced.

"It sounds like Caroline," Marion protested, looking at the child's peaceful face.

"It's Latin. It means, 'little rival'."

Marion turned her head. "Little rival? Like... Junior?" She smiled at the child. "Oh, that fits. He's going to be furious when he finds out that we named his daughter Junior."

"Shall we?" Henry conspired with mischief "Only the dog is named Indiana."

Marion grinned. "Yes. You're the best, Henry." She hugged him and whispered to the baby. "Welcome to the world, Emmaline Ravenwood Jones."