Chapter 43: Flashback: Attu Island, North Pacific, 1942

Indy's eyes were lit with adventure and reckless determined chaos.

Kuzmin had the plane in the air circling the base, riding low - the wings of the plane flattening the grass, gliding in across the buildings.

Indy had a rope around his body and was measuring the distance between him and Seal Child - clinging to the roof of one of the base's aircraft hangers.

The Japanese were surrounding the building. They didn't have time.

Indy felt the swords on each hip.

"You want me to hold those?"

"No," Indy replied. "The Japanese want these. And if they shoot me down, I'll need something to fight my way out of it." He swallowed, twisting the wedding band on his hand. "Ross - open the bomb bay doors."

Ross stared at Indy. "You're crazy -"

"I'm not letting a kid get captured by the Japanese. I saw what they did in Shanghai!" Indy growled, standing at the edge of the bomb bay doors. "Pull us up, Ross." Indy felt the plane bank. "Kuzmin?"

"Ready for flyover!"

Indy saw the buildings get too close. Shingles vibrated as Kuzmin flew over the barracks.

"Closer!" Indy yelled. "Steady as she goes!"

He hooked his whip on the bomb cage and dropped out of the plane.

The big wings above him threw Indy to the side. His whip and the extra rope held steady. The speed hurt his face, hurling through the air.

Seal Child screamed something.

There was the distant sound of Indy's whip cracking. His body jarred on the impact and his hands slid closer to the handle.

Seal Child's mouth fell open.

"Uncle Indy! Uncle Indy!" He started jumping up and down.

The Japanese soldiers raised their rifles.

Edo yelled out a warning.

A shot rang out.

Indy flinched, but glanced down, seeing Edo shoot one of the soldiers. "He's found the swords! We'll need him alive! The spirits will accept no one else than the one who discovered the swords!"

Indy swung by the barracks.

"Seal Child! Jump!"

The boy grinned took a running start and fearlessly lept into Indy's arms.

Indy grabbed the falling child.

Ross whooped as he leaned out of the plane's doors and pulled them up.

"Faster!" Indy yelled, seeing the rolling hills crawling with more Japanese soldiers. The base was lost to the enemy.

Ross pulled on the rope and the whip. Indy threw Seal Child into the plane and glanced below.

Kuzmin eased the plane upward, engines roaring. He circled the island, gaining momentum, watching the chaos below. Bullets ripped into the plane.

Ross pulled Indy into the plane. Bullets started flying.

Indy hit the floor, shielding Seal Child with his body. "Get us outta here Kuzmin!" He looked at the child. "Are you ok?"

"Yes, Uncle Indy. But you're missing one of the swords."

Indy smiled, hugging Seal Child. "I got the more important thing." He yelled to Kuzmin. "Take us home!"

The plane banked.

"Kuzmin?" Indy called, watching the shadows move. "That's not home!"

"We've got engine difficulties!" Kuzmin announced. "The closest land is Russia!"

"Russia! Isn't! Home!" Indy yelled.

Ross looked up from studying a map. "He's right, Dr. Jones. We've got no choice."

"Especially since we are leaking fuel," Kuzmin announced.

Indy pulled his hat down, trying not to swear. "Marion's gonna kill me."

"I thought she loved you," Seal Child looked up confused.

"She does. And that's why she'll kill me."