Chapter 89: Flashback: Israel, 1947

Israel

1947

(weeks after tomb cave in where Emily got her scars)

Indy continued softly, telling Emily the ancient story, "But Moses God's was the same God as Abram. And Moses knew Abram had seen God, so Moses asked if he could see God too."

"Daddy?"

"What, hon?"

"You didn't answer my question about Abram getting a man and God confused."

"I'm getting to that." He picked up the lamp. "If I hold this in front of your face, it's too bright and you can't see what's around you, right?"

"Right." Emily squinted, as Indy noticed her one pupil didn't respond. He needed to see the doctor about that, but he was reluctant to drag her to another medical professional, especially since the last encounter had been a surgery to remove the swelling from her skull.

"But if I put my hand between you and the lamp, you see more than the flame and everything around you, right?"

Emily blinked, with both her eyes. Indy was relieved - at least that much still worked, despite the injuries.

"Is that why you never look into the fire when we're camping?" She asked. "Because you need to see into the darkness in order to protect us?"

"That's right, Em." He brushed her injured face with the back of his hand, resting his scarred knuckles against her soft cheekbone, thinking of Annie and Marion... and missing them furiously. Not in anger but a deep grieving sorrow and deserved abandonment. He knew and felt he deserved abandonment. Yet... he had unconditional love from the one person he'd failed to protect: Emily.

Indy continued, "So that's what God did. He put his hand between Moses and the bright light of his holiness, so Moses could see God in a way that Abram couldn't. And Moses got to see God as a bright light and as a man."

"But they're both the same.... And different?"

"Yep. Scholars call it a second Yahweh figure, cause Yahweh is the Hebrew name of Moses and Abram's god. Same and different. Just like we have the same last name, but we're different people."

"Did you ever meet him?"

"Moses?" Indy laughed. "No, Em! I'm not that old!"

"No. God."

Indy thought back over his adventures and shuddered, thinking of the blast he'd shut his eyes against that had devoured the Nazis when they'd dared open the Ark. He'd heard the screams of horror all around him and had expected it to devour him and Marion as well. But it hadn't. It had simply and powerfully gazed on them and shielded them. He remembered the shielding, pulsating with a terrifying unspeakable immeasurable power. And then a still small voice coming through the screams of their enemies, proud with patience and tender authority. "Well done, Dr. Jones. We'll talk again."

"No," Indy said cautiously, not wanting his daughter to believe in fairy tales. "But I know that the artifacts that claim to be his have more power and feeling to them than other things."

Emily paused for a moment, thinking and staring at the lamp. "Then I guess I should talk to him about my fear of the dark... since he's in charge of making it not dark. Aunt Zipporah talks to him a lot. She said I could too."

Indy swallowed. If it helped his little girl feel better, he'd indulge an ancient sacred mythological figure... especially since he needed sleep.

Emily continued. "Everyone around here seems to believe in history and God. Why don't you, Daddy?"

"Not sure I believe him, Em."

"But didn't you meet him in the Ark?"

Indy was quiet. He hadn't realized when he went after the Ark that he would be treading on holy ground like Moses. "Not sure how to answer that, Em."

Emily paused, itching at the bandages on her face.

Indy took her hand, moving it away from the healing scabs, and he just sat there and held it, staring at how tiny her hand was in comparison to his. She let him, and then moved her hand, playing with the gold wedding band still on Indy's ring finger, despite Marion leaving him, and taking their oldest daughter with him.

"Daddy, does God know what's like to be scared?" Emily asked.

"I think he'd understand," Indy replied softly, looking at her bandaged face. "You see... some people say he came as a man a second time and got stuck in a tomb, too."

"How'd he get out?" Emily asked. "Did he have a dad drop through an ancient air shaft, face down snakes and rescue him too?"

Indy shrugged with a smile, leaning over her and kissing her lightly on her wounded cheek. "Em, from what I heard there was a big rock... and he just rolled it out of the way."

He listened for Emily's next question and heard quiet familiar breathing, as her small head rested against his heart. "Aw hon, you fell asleep," he whispered in adoration. "You are so sweet and beautiful. And I'm in complete awe that I get to be your dad. And I hope to God that I'm doing this right... even though I don't know if I believe. You are too much of a treasure for me to lose... and I've nearly lost you once already." He tested her forehead with his hand, afraid to find the heat of infection, but sensed only healing. He considered moving back inside, but the temperature of Holy Land was worse inside the ancient upper room and one look at the child in his arms made him want to stay still forever, so he kissed her on the forehead a second time and let her sleep, as he lowered his hat, leaning against the ancient city wall... a little lamp burning low beside them and the stars shining far above.