Chapter 17: Encounter with Apkallu

Indy braced his shoulders, glaring up at the towering tyrannical ethereal being. "What do you want? Why am I here?"

"You came to see me, Dr. Jones. Just like everyone else who visits the museum. Its not the same as a temple with human sacrifice - but in a society which is increasingly without gods, this is a fine substitute. My council and I are glad to see you."

"Its not mutual."

The apkallu laughed. "It wasn't the first time, either. We heard you're looking for the Seven Swords of Diya."

"This the Babylon gallery, if you want the swords of Diya, you should take a trip to the Asian gallery in the Smithsonian," Indy retorted.

"We don't have to. All the nations were allotted to us, after the rebellion. Whatever artifact you picked up, stole, or raided from a tomb, brought us into the modern world. Except for the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail. And we made certain those were safely hidden away through our government contacts."

"What? You barred me from studying the Ark of the Covenant?"

The apkallu gave another chuckle. This time it was joined in an overwhelming echoing chorus of thousands more.

Indy nearly stumbled backwards at the demonic force of the dominating wicked laughter. He'd heard Nazis laugh. He'd faced Hitler. He'd seen evil in the Temple of Doom - but this, this was something - more horrifying than anything else he'd witnessed.

"You're going to get us out of our prisons, Dr. Jones."

"Like hell..." Indy growled.

"Of course its like hell. We are from the underworld. We were imprisoned here, as documented by Enoch. I'm certain you've read that ancient manuscript...."

"Yeah. Most scholars have." He glanced at his fists. They were trembling and so tight that his muscles were hurting. He wanted to lash out and strike the creatures before him. Yet they seemed to have some supernatural power to override his free will.

Indy swallowed. He remembered this feeling. He knew it all too well. This was what he'd felt while in the trance at the Temple of Doom.