Chapter 170: Flashback: Archaeological Site, Egypt, Along the Red Sea, 1947

Flashback:

Archaeological Site

Egypt,

Along the Red Sea

1947

From the ground at their tent, Marion looked up just in time to see her husband, holding their youngest child, matching grins on their faces, leaping out of the tomb and rolling head over heels down the sand dune of debris. They reached the bottom unharmed and laughing.

Indy righted himself, grabbing his hat which came rolling along after them, as Em stretched out in the sand, making a sand angel.

Indy shook off the dizziness and was about to stand when Emily jumped onto his chest, snuggled against his stubble covered jawline and asked with a giggle. "Again?"

Indy saw Marion. "Maybe later, Em." He carried Em toward the mess tent where Marion had set out lunch for them and the small work crew.

"I was just about to send Sallah to get you both," Marion scolded with a smile.

"Dad found a new thing," Emily announced. "It's got water on the bottom."

"Wash up," Marion instructed.

Emily skipped off to obey.

Marion studied Indy for a moment. "You're a mess."

"But I'm a very happy man." He swept her up in his arms and kissed her. "After lunch? You and me? Date?"

Marion pressed her forehead to Indy's. "Dates. They're not just for eating." And then she kissed him.

The adoration in Indy's eyes suddenly turned to terror. He broke the kiss. "Marion... there's something crawling in my trousers."

Marion leaned closer, a flirtatiously scolding finger tracing the scar on his stubbled chin. "Indiana, as your wife - I'm the only who should be in your pants."

"Marion... no... I'm serious... I- It's crawling up my leg and I think it's a scorpion."

She pulled him into their tent and shut the flaps.

Emily came back as her older sister, ten-year-old Annie Ravenwood Jones closed her school book on Egyptian history and language. "Where's Mom and Dad?"

Annie pointed to the tent. "They're always kissing."

"Gross." Emily helped herself to a sandwich. "Why do grownups do that?"

"I guess it means they love each other." Annie shrugged. "I'm done with school for the day, maybe we can get Uncle Sallah to tell us some more stories about him and Dad!"