4. Urges

Everything seemed to be okay between Hotch and Cassidy since their fight. He called her Cassidy, or Marlow, much to her pleasure. She hated knowing that she was related to Hotch. The last thing she wanted was for the team to start treating her differently just because she was Hotch's niece. Spencer was the only person who knew, which she hoped would stay that way.

Things had been going okay with Spencer and Cassidy. Neither of them had mentioned their one-night-stand, or the fact that Cassidy was Hotch's niece. Spencer understood that if Cassidy ever found out something about him, she wouldn't pry and ask questions, so he should do the same.

Although, something had been nagging at Spencer since he made the connection about having slept with Hotch's niece. As much as he knew that sleeping with her again and possibly taking things further would complicate their lives and jobs, he wanted to pursue something with her. Every time he looked up to see Cassidy walking into the bullpen, his heart raced, he felt butterflies and he was 99.9 percent sure that his pupils dilated every time they looked at each other.

Cassidy couldn't deny the fact that she felt the same thing. Knowing that she slept with her co-worker, that didn't deter her from feeling urges. Often, when in the conference room, she'd look over at Spencer, watching as his index finger grazed the pages within the file in his large hand. Weirdly enough, sitting in a room with experienced profilers, none of them noticed the small changes that occurred within Cassidy as soon as she glanced at Spencer. She'd cross her legs, her posture would straighten and she squeezed her fists before releasing her grip, desperately ignoring the urges that got worse and worse over time.

Her urges seemed to disappear as soon as Penelope walked into the room, a look of sorrow on her face as she exhaled, drawing our attention to the screen.

"The Bergstrom family was killed in their home in Winona, Minnesota, last night. Mother, Father, and little boy, all shot execution style." Penelope sat down, looking up at the screen in front of her.

"Any suspects?" JJ questioned as she looked at Penelope, who tried to avoid looking at the screen.

"Therein lies the mystery. The Bergstrom family was as low-risk as they come." Penelope shook her head, seeming very weirded out by the case they had been given.

"What about murder-suicide?" Spencer asked as he leaned back in his chair, his tie tightly around the collar that had been buttoned to the top.

"That was ruled out. There was no murder weapon found at the scene, and both Bridget and Scott Bergstrom were shot in their bed." Emily shook her head, debunking Spencer's question.

"But there was a survivor. A teenage daughter." Cassidy exhaled, feeling another sudden urge when she looked at Spencer. She desperately tried to ignore it, feeling the sensation build.

"17-year-old Amanda. She was out past her curfew at the time of the murders." Penelope put up a photo of Amanda, her eyes glancing down at her tablet.

"And she's the one that found the bodies." JJ exhaled, giving a comforting glance to Penelope.

"It almost seems like a hit man scenario." Spencer added, confused.

"Maybe a mafia retaliation kill? But that doesn't seem likely in Winona, Minnesota." Hotch shrugged his shoulders, leaning back in his chair, similar to Spencer.

"But it does seem like a revenge kill." Derek looked up at the screen, confused.

"If the unsub expected to wipe out the entire family, he screwed up big time leaving Amanda alive." Rossi exhaled.

"Unless she had something to do with it." Spencer looked at Rossi before drawing his attention back to the screen.

"That's a question mark, but according to the M.E.'s preliminary report, she can't be the shooter, based on alibi and time of deaths." Penelope shook her head.

"On the surface, they were a well-liked family, living a low-risk lifestyle." Cassidy informed, her eyes scanning the photos of the crime scenes that were slightly covered by images of Amanda and the family.

"The daughter Amanda, where is she?" Spencer questioned, confused.

"Protective custody, in case the unsub sees her as unfinished business." Penelope admitted, everyone going silent.

"We good?" Hotch questioned.

"Mm-hmm." Cassidy nodded, everyone else nodding with her.

"Wheels up in 20." Hotch ordered as the team stood up, heading out of the conference room to grab their go bags.

The flight to Winona, Minnesota was calm at first. Everyone had made themselves comfortable, often getting up to refill their coffee.

Spencer had gotten up and poured himself another cup of coffee, using a spoon to stir the milk so it mixed properly with the coffee.

Cassidy stood at the kitchenette, her left hand holding the cup while her right hand poured the coffee. She was very tired, having been woken up at 4:54 AM in order to get to the office. She hadn't yet noticed that Spencer was on her left side, waiting slightly to get around her so he could grab some sugar sachets. Cassidy only really realised that Spencer was even close to her when he shimmied behind her - seeing as the kitchenette was quite small. When she felt his hand brush past her leg, she instantly widened her eyes, feeling another urge starting to occur. She knew that if she didn't move away quickly, something was going to happen and there was no chance that anyone would forget.

Walking to her seat, she balled her hand into a fist and squeezed it to reduce the urges that she had been feeling since they had been in the conference room early that morning.

"Bridget and Scott Bergstrom grew up in Winona and have deep ties to the community." Rossi looked at the tablet in his hand, exhaling.

"Scott was a local distributor of farm equipment. Bridget cut hair at a salon in the mall." JJ looked confused at her tablet, clearly stumped.

"Yet they were murdered by a family annihilator." Cassidy spoke up, eyeing the rest of the team.

"Sad but true. The Bergstrom family had their share of dirty laundry. Though who of us does not?" Penelope spoke through the call.

"Scott developed a Vicodin habit a few years back after a skiing accident." Spencer noted, having read through the file in his hand.

"So he could have been in over his head with his dealer." Derek shook his head, looking down at his tablet.

"So Bridget was having an affair?" JJ looked at Penelope through the screen, watching as she nodded, confirming her suspicions.

"Yeah. I looked at their financials. She's got a credit card secret just in her name, with charges to a motel just outside of town, and nothing else." Penelope explained, clearly not at all surprised by her findings.

"She might have cut things off, causing him to go off the deep end." Emily suggested.

"Can you get us a name?" Hotch asked, looking at Penelope.

"Yeah, I'm already into it. You'll have lover boy's ID asap." Penelope nodded.

"What about Amanda, the sole survivor? Any motive there?" Spencer questioned, his mouth tightly shut after he finished speaking.

"Deep sigh. I hate that you're asking that. And deep sigh again, I am bound by duty to report the facts. There's a modest insurance policy. 17-year-old Amanda is the beneficiary." Penelope sighed, Emily looking down at the info on her screen.

"$100,000." Emily was quite shocked by that number.

"That would seem like all the money in the world to a teenager." Derek chuckled.

"People have been killed for a lot less." Hotch exhaled.

"That's an unlikely motive for the daughter, but we can't rule her out." Rossi exhaled deep.

"Whatever set this unsub off, he made the whole family pay for it." Spencer crossed his arms.

"Okay. Spencer, Cassidy, you go directly to the crime scene." Hotch gestured to the two of them.

"JJ, Rossi, go to the M.E." Hotch moved onto Rossi and JJ, both of whom nodded.

"Emily, Derek, you're with me. We'll set up H.Q. at the local P.D." Hotch announced before everyone went back to what they were doing before the briefing.