10. Emotions

The drive to the police department was short and sweet. The sights were beautiful, but the reason why the team was here wasn't so beautiful.

When the team arrived at the department, they walked in, Hotch going first.

"Thanks for coming. I'm Chief Henston." The man in the police uniform smiled as he shook Hotch's hand.

"I'm SSA Aaron Hotchner. These are Agents David Rossi, Jennifer Jareau, Derek Morgan, Emily Prentiss, Cassidy Marlow and Dr. Spencer Reid." Hotch introduced the team.

"I see you already have a suspect. What's his name?" Rossi asked as the team directed their attention to the interview room.

"His name is Sean Hotchner. He's the man who watched one of the victims die." The Chief explained, Cassidy's face dropping. She now knew why Hotch had been so secretive about the case.

"JJ and Prentiss, you two go to the crime scene. Morgan and Reid, you two head to the M.E. Rossi and Cassidy, you stay here with me." Hotch informed as the team went their separate ways.

"Hotch, why didn't you tell me that my dad was involved?!" Cassidy tried to keep quiet, feeling upset that her dad was a suspect.

"I-" Before Hotch could respond, Cassidy hastily walked to the interview room, Rossi watching in shock.

"Cassidy is Sean's daughter? Which makes you her uncle..." Rossi gasped.

"Dad!" Cassidy announced herself to Sean, who looked at her, his face dropping at the sight of her.

"Cassie!" He wrapped his arms around her torso and lifted her up, tears spilling from his eyes.

"I'm so sorry that you have to see me like this. It's been a while." Sean exhaled.

"I- It's okay, dad." Cassidy happily hugged her dad before Hotch entered the room, glaring at Cassidy, waiting for her to leave.

"6 kids died at a rave last night. They bled out just like the others." Hotch informed Sean as Cassidy stood behind a window, watching the conversation happen.

"How well do you know these people you're working with?" Hotch asked, sitting down.

"Oh...Thane hooked me up with the job a couple of months ago. Linda and I started dating a few weeks after that." Sean looked away.

"You suspect any of the employees of dealing?" Hotch intertwined his fingers, sitting his hands on the table.

"No, but it's not like it's hard to find if you're looking." Sean exhaled, avoiding eye contact with Hotch. Cassidy could tell that something was wrong.

"And you'd tell me if you were involved in anything illegal?" Hotch exhaled.

"Yes, but I'm not. I swear, Aaron." Sean shook his head.

"And you've told me everything?" Hotch asked, watching as Sean nodded.

"All right, you did the right thing in calling. I'll let you know what we find out." Hotch exhaled one more time before exiting the room, joining back up with Rossi and Cassidy.

After an hour, Hotch sent Rossi into the room. Hotch and Cassidy stood behind the window, watching for any micro expressions that gave them an answer.

"Where's Aaron, or Cassidy?" Sean asked, confused, leaning back.

"In cases where family's involved, we like to have unbiased agents conduct the interview." Rossi exhaled, opening up a file.

"Am I a suspect?" Sean furrowed his eyebrows, concerned.

"Should you be?" Rossi crossed his arms while Sean shook his head.

"Um, how well did you know Linda?" Rossi questioned.

"We used to date." Sean looked away, seeming uncomfortable.

"Date?" Rossi repeated, confused. Sean nodded.

"You told Agent Hotchner that she was your girlfriend." Rossi leaned back, looking down at the file. He could tell that Sean wasn't telling the whole truth, even Hotch and Cassidy could tell.

"She was. Then it...stopped." Sean stuttered.

"You two broke up, then?" Rossi raised his eyebrows, confused by Sean's explanation.

"No, it's not like that." Sean shook his head. Hotch could tell that Cassidy was being affected by the case, seeing her dad being interviewed, possibly interrogated.

"Well, what stopped, then, the sex?" Rossi chuckled, causing Sean to roll his eyes in annoyance.

"Look, what Linda and I were or weren't isn't gonna help you." Sean explained.

"I think you should let me decide what's going to help." Rossi shook his head, glancing down at the file again.

A long sigh escaped Sean's lips. He leaned back, his eyes glancing up at the ceiling before looking back at Rossi, who was ready for whatever Sean was about to say.

"We had a fight. It was bad. But we were getting over it, getting back to normal." Sean began.

"What was the fight about?" Rossi leaned forward.

"My using." Sean exhaled. Cassidy's heart dropped. When she was a child, she spent 3 days with her grandparents because her dad went away. Now she knew why. Hotch tensed up, feeling the pain that Cassidy also felt.

"You're a drug addict?" Rossi questioned, shocked.

"I don't use anymore. Linda convinced me to get clean." Sean shook his head, trying to clear his name.

"How long ago was that?" Rossi asked, feeling the tension radiating off Cassidy and Hotch from behind the glass.

"Two months ago." Sean exhaled looking out the window.

"Any relapses?" Rossi looked at Sean, who shook his head, now seeming proud.

"Not in the last two months." Sean looked at Rossi with confidence.

"What was your drug of choice?" Rossi questioned as he crossed his arms. Cassidy could feel the anger boil up inside her. Hotch could feel the anger and watched as she stormed out of the room, heading toward Rossi and her dad in the other room.

"I'd rather not say." Sean spoke before Cassidy opened the door, anger radiating off her.

"You'd rather not say? Are you serious?" Cassidy walked over to her dad, Hotch following her to keep her from hurting Sean.

"People are dying, Sean." Hotch got Rossi to take Cassidy out of the room, locking the door behind them.

"It was Ecstasy." Sean rolled his eyes.

"You said you told me everything." Hotch sat down, eyeing his brother.

"I stopped using. I didn't think it mattered." Sean shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"It does matter. Where were you getting the drugs?" Hotch's tone became angry.

"From Thane." Sean exhaled.

"So you're protecting him." Hotch accused.

"No. Look, it's not like that. I met him a few years ago. When I lost the catering gig, he gave me a job. Thane may be a dumbass, but he doesn't kill people." Sean explained, defending Thane. Hotch scoffed.

"Does it not occur to you that if Thane has access to the drug supply, he might also have access to the person doing this?" Hotch shook his head in disappointment.

"I didn't think-" Sean looked down in shame.

"No, you didn't think. What else are you hiding?" Hotch eyed Sean, now very concerned and angry.

"Nothing! I didn't have anything to do with this." Sean defended himself.