46. Wedding planning and case work

CASSIDY
A month. That's how much time had passed since Spencer and I became engaged. I absolutely loved being engaged. I had dreamt of it as a child, and now, I was in the middle of it. Spencer and I had settled on a wedding date. March 15th. The day that our lives changed forever. The day that we had the one-night-stand. If it wasn't for the one-night-stand, we wouldn't have met. Scratch that. We would have met the next day when I first joined the team, but the spark that ended up becoming a relationship wouldn't have been there.

We had arranged a few things since we got engaged. We had our wedding location sorted, our reception location sorted and our catering sorted. Rossi had offered to let us use his large backyard as our wedding location. It also helped that he had a giant patio that could be used for the reception and he was more than happy to make some of his famous recipes for our big day.

My dad was going to walk me down the aisle, so Hotch offered to get in touch with him. JJ was going to be my maid of honour, while Penelope and Emily would be my bridesmaids. JJ had decided that as my maid of honour, she was going to enlist Penelope's help with the bachelorette party and enlist Emily's help with the bridal shower. Derek was Spencer's best man, of course.

But, as much as the team and I were excited to talk about the wedding and the details involved, we were the BAU, which means we had cases. So, while we were across the country with different cases, Spencer and I had been gifted a wedding folder. There were two tags, one on each side of the folder. One tag said TO DO. The other tag said COMPLETED. Three different pieces of paper had been filed underneath the COMPLETED tag; Wedding location, Reception location and Catering. There was at least 10-15 more pieces of paper left to complete.

———

While waiting to land at our new location for our newest case, Spencer and I sat on the couch, the wedding folder in front of us as JJ sat across from us. She was discussing details. We had already gone through the contents of the case, yet we still had 2 hours left until we were due to land. But, when we did land, it was full steam ahead. Hotch and Rossi headed to the police station. Morgan and Emily headed to the M.E. Spencer and I headed to the crime scene.

As we arrived at the location, we both tried to focus on the scene itself. Spencer looked at the surrounding areas and rooms, while I focused on the specific area in which the crime was committed.

"Andrea Phelps, 34, was shot point blank, execution style. Simon Phelps, 35, was stabbed 10 times all over his chest." The Chief explained, pointing to the two separate blood stains on the floor.

"Different M.O. One was shot point blank and the other was stabbed. Are we sure we aren't dealing with two different unsubs?" I asked, confused.

"Not two different unsubs." Spencer shook his head.

"Something feels weird. Wouldn't it be better to shoot the husband? I mean, as an unsub, I would much rather shoot the husband to 1. get rid of the harder target and 2. kill them quicker so they can't defend themselves. Then, I would stab the wife, because she's less likely to fight back either due to fear or just lack of strength." I questioned, bending down. My gloved up hand grazed gently around the floor, trying to notice anything.

"Look. Scratch marks. I'm guessing that the husband was stabbed first while his wife was held at gunpoint. Once he was dead, the wife tried to find any opportunity to escape and for a second, she did. She fought back against the unsub, trying to prevent them from dragging her away from safety, but they pulled out their gun and shot her, point blank, ending the fight almost instantly. I wouldn't be surprised if Andrea had defensive wounds on her body." Spencer pointed to the scratch marks on the floor and wall.