81. Terrified

JJ, Spencer, Derek and Tara drove in one SUV while Emily, Rossi and Matt drove in the other. They were heading back to the BAU office.

"Just keeps going to voicemail." Spencer almost threw his phone against his leg as he thought about the trouble that had been caused.

"All of Garcia's cells?" JJ asked as she drove. JJ was aware that Cassidy had been called into the office, so not getting ahold of her or Penelope was very concerning. Spencer wasn't worried that a criminal in custody at the BAU office might escape. He was more worried about the possibly of his 5-month pregnant wife being in danger. The last thing she needed was to be stressed, anxious, nervous or all 3, especially while being pregnant.

"Yeah. I can't get ahold of her." Spencer groaned.

"I talked to Cassidy for like a second before we got disconnected." Spencer tried not to cry, or show weakness.

"All right, try the guard gate." JJ nodded, her hands gripping the steering wheel while she tried to focus on driving.

The only sound in the car was beeping, loud beeping. This wasn't normal.

"Still busy." Spencer almost crushed his phone in his hands. His call with Cassidy was disconnected, he couldn't get through to Penelope via any of her phones and now the guard gate was busy. If his panic and worry wasn't bad before, it certainly was now.

"Still busy? That doesn't make sense! We've got a prisoner who could be escaping right now. We can't get anyone on the phone. Not even security." JJ scoffed, unable to comprehend the shitty situation they had found themselves in.

"Maybe Prentiss got ahold of the director." JJ suggested.

"Yeah, let's hope so." Spencer exhaled, trying to calm down.

"That's right, Benjamin Merva. He's being held in the sixth floor interrogation room." Emily spoke, holding her phone to her ear. Her face dropped.

"I'm sorry, what...what do you mean?" She gasped, hearing something bad on the other end of the call.

"Guys." Matt got the attention of the team, seeing a bunch of fire-trucks, police cars and barricades up ahead. They drove forward, an officer stopping them.

"What's all this?" Spencer asked as the window rolled down.

"It's a fire alarm on the sixth floor, sir." The officer explained, a look of worry on JJ's face as she listened to the officer.

"Which building?" Tara asked, concerned.

"Yours." The officer explained.

"How many injured?" JJ asked.

‭"Unclear. Director isn't taking chances. There's been a mandatory evacuation." The officer spoke.

The entire team in their two SUVs were let through so they could gain access to the BAU office. The moment the SUV's were parked, Emily and Tara rushed up to the office while the others split off. JJ and Spencer ran to the underground garage, while Matt, Derek and Rossi ran into other parts of the building.

"We have a prisoner awaiting transfer...Benjamin Merva." Emily explained as she held her phone to her ear, watching as Tara tried to use one of the computers within the BAU bullpen.

"I can't look it up. System's down." Tara exhaled, looking up at Emily, who nearly threw her phone across the bullpen in anger.

"Well, we need to search every vehicle, especially emergency ones." Emily spoke.

JJ and Spencer bolted to the entrance to the parking lot, seeing an officer standing out the front. They showed their badges.

"I've got guards manning exits, but we're outnumbered." He exhaled, shaking his head.