52. Indefinitely

When Spencer came home from work, he was confused. He was confused as to why Cassidy had left work early. He was confused as to why Strauss wanted to meet with him, Cassidy and Hotch the next morning. She couldn't explain. Not without crying. He comforted her and could see how worried she was.

———
(The Next Morning)

Spencer and Cassidy walked hand in hand through the building, heading to Strauss' office. It was 8:55 AM. As they walked, they spotted Hotch coming from the opposite direction.

"You two ready?" Hotch asked as both Spencer and Cassidy exhaled.

"Do we really have a choice?" Spencer groaned. Hotch chuckled.

"No, we don't. But I suggest not showing any PDA. It won't help your case." Hotch suggested, watching as Cassidy nodded, letting go of Spencer's hand.

The two agents and the doctor waited outside Strauss' office, their hearts racing when the time hit 9 AM. Strauss' office door opened, revealing the blonde-haired woman who looked like she wasn't in the mood for dealing with broken rules.

"Good morning, Agent Hotchner." Strauss looked at Hotch, clasping her hands together.

"Good morning, Erin." Hotch exhaled. He was one of the only people who called her by her first name. The only other person was Rossi.

"Good morning, Agent Marlow." Strauss turned to Cassidy, who could feel her anxiety start to get worse. Her nerves were all over the place and her hands were starting to shake.

"Good morning, ma'am." She smiled, trying to remain calm. She could feel Spencer's hand hold hers for comfort, his thumb gently rubbing the top of her hand.

"Good morning, Dr. Reid." She looked at Spencer, who slightly shook his head, not happy.

"Good morning, ma'am." His voice was monotone. He didn't let his emotions show.

"Do you know why you're here?" Strauss looked at the three of them.

"No." Both Hotch and Spencer spoke up.

"Yes." Cassidy nodded.

"During my interview with Agent Marlow, yesterday, a certain...topic was brought to my attention." Strauss leaned back.

"Simply put, the Bureau has strict rules against fraternisation between members. From my knowledge, you, Dr. Spencer Reid and you, Agent Cassidy Marlow are in a relationship that has advanced to engagement." Strauss exhaled, clearly angry.

"Now, it's bad enough that you two are even in a relationship in the first place, but the fact that you both kept it a secret from Agent Hotchner and then from me, your Section Chief, the behaviour exhibited by you two is unacceptable." She started berating Spencer and Cassidy, both of whom remained silent.

"Rules are not meant to be broken. They exist to keep everyone safe and out of trouble. If you and Spencer had come to me and been honest, we could have avoided all of this and dealt with it sensibly. But instead, you two chose to break the rules and be secretive." Strauss shook her head, looking at Cassidy

"Be honest with me now. How long have you two been together for?" Strauss glanced between Cassidy and Spencer.

"We've been together for a little under 2 years." Spencer admitted.

"And...we've been engaged for a little over a month. We're planning to get married next March." Cassidy added.

"I see. As for you, Agent Hotchner, from my knowledge, you were aware of their relationship?" Strauss faced Hotch, who straightened up.

"Yes. I was aware of the relationship between Agent Marlow and Dr. Reid." Hotch nodded.

"And you didn't think it was appropriate, as the BAU's Unit Chief, to adhere to protocol and inform me - the BAU's Section Chief - of the relationship?" Strauss questioned Hotch, who cleared his throat.

"I-" Before Hotch could continue, Strauss interrupted him.

"Did you, Agent Hotchner, neglect to inform me of the relationship between Agent Marlow and Dr. Reid because Agent Marlow is your niece?" Strauss questioned, Hotch shaking his head in disbelief. Cassidy almost gasped. She had answered this question yesterday. Did Strauss not believe her?

"No. I did not. Agent Marlow being my niece had nothing to do with any choice that I made regarding their relationship. To be perfectly clear, I informed Agent Marlow that I did not condone her relationship with Dr. Reid. But, just because I didn't condone it, doesn't mean I was going to force them apart." Hotch kept calm.

"And why not? You were just as - if not more - aware of the rules as Dr. Reid and Agent Marlow. You are their superior after all." Strauss scoffed.

"Their relationship, while technically not allowed, did not at all impact their work within the BAU. In fact, they cared more about their job than their relationship. I had decided that if they could put their job first and not their relationship while at work, I wouldn't force them apart. For example, just recently, we were scouring clubs to find an unsub. In order to possibly lure the unsub out, Agent Marlow willingly took off her engagement ring in order to go undercover as a single woman. They both take their jobs seriously." Hotch explained.

"Agent Hotchner, taking a job seriously means not breaking any rules." Strauss rolled her eyes.

Hotch nodded, seemingly understanding where Strauss was coming from.

"The Bureau will be investigating this situation, and until they have decided the best course of action, you, Agent Marlow and you Dr. Reid, will be suspended indefinitely. As for you, Agent Hotchner, you will remain the BAU's Unit Chief, but you will be monitored closely." Strauss informed them.

"You all may go now." She let them leave. Cassidy, Spencer and Hotch exited her office.

"You two better go. I'll let the rest of the team know." Hotch nodded as he began to walk off, leaving Cassidy and Spencer to head home.