62. True unsub

Spencer had lost track of time. He had no idea how long he'd been locked up, and it didn't help that to distract himself, he tried to think about his wedding with Cassidy, but he'd forget how long he had before the day itself arrived.

Spencer sat across from Fiona. He was upset. His case was being pushed back.

"A continuance? How long?" Spencer asked, his hands clasped together. He was trying to calm down, but having his case postponed wasn't helping.

"6 weeks." Fiona spoke, Spencer almost tempted to punch a nearby wall.

"I don't understand. The Alexandria District court is the rocket docket." Spencer groaned, Fiona nodding.

"I know. But there are delays because of the arresting officers' limited availability." Fiona explained, showing the email that she had received from the courthouse.

"Because they have to travel from Mexico to Virginia?" Spencer asked, confused.

"And because they have domestic testimony obligations. This...this is the price we're paying for getting the case moved back to the States. I'm working directly with the Warden on getting extra visiting privileges." Fiona explained to Spencer, who shook his head, trying not to cry.

"I don't know if I can..." Spencer almost sobbed, trying to remain calm - but failing.

"Spencer, listen to me. There is a strategic silver lining here. These extra 6 weeks give the BAU time to track down the woman that you remembered." Fiona smiled.

"Have they made any progress?" Spencer asked, hopeful.

"They're pouring everything they have into locating her. And now that you remember that big detail that the other person in the room was a woman..." Fiona started, Spencer exhaling.

"...I might remember more." Spencer spoke.

"I know how hard this is, but our best hope is exonerating you before a verdict. And these 6 weeks could be a blessing in disguise." Fiona was hopeful.

———

After Fiona's no-so-good visit, the last thing Spencer wanted was to see anybody. Not Fiona. Not Emily. Not even Cassidy. He couldn't bare to see his friends and family without crying.

"Get on your feet. You got a visitor." The guard instructed, removing Spencer from his cell before walking him to the interview room.

"I don't want to see any visitors right now." Spencer groaned.

The door opened to reveal his mom.

"Spencer." She breathed, happy to see her son.

"Mom." He smiled, happy to see her.

"What is this place?" She started to panic, and he could see it on her face.

"It's okay, mom. You're just here to visit me. Cassie told you." Spencer looked at his mother, who shook her head.

"Cassie? Oh no. I sent that girl packing." She explained.

"Well, then, mom, how did you get here?" Spencer asked, confused.

"The new girl. She's a real sweetheart." She smiled.

"What's her name?" Spencer asked. She was about to answer, but started to panic when ht guard shut the door.

"Oh, we gotta get out of here. I saw a back staircase down the hall. Let me out." She exhaled.

"Mom, mom." He called for her, watching as she nearly rushed toward the door. She managed to get ahold of the handle, noticing the door was locked.