63. Foes of the past/Lead on Scratch

"Carol Atkinson is Jaime Lamantia, who is Lindsey Vaughn." Penelope reiterated Cassidy's reveal over the phone from her lair. The team finally had a solid lead. All they had to do now was find her.

"We're 20 minutes from the apartment." Cassidy and JJ spoke as they drove toward the apartment owned by Spencer and Cassidy.

"Yeah, we're 10." Derek nodded, driving as fast as he could, Tara popping the sirens on to make the trip faster.

10 minutes later, Derek and Tara were standing in the apartment owned by Cassidy and Spencer, looking down at a body.

"It's Cassie." Derek exhaled, shaking his head. He stepped outside and called Emily, letting her know about the recent development while Tara stayed inside, inspecting the body.

JJ and Cassidy turned around when hearing that Derek and Tara were heading to the apartment. They drove back to the BAU, meeting up with Emily in the conference room, who was unusually silent.

"Emily, is there something you're not telling us?" JJ asked, looking at Emily, who exhaled, fidgeting with her phone.

"Tara and Derek just found Cassie's body in yours and Spencer's apartment. She'd been shot once in the head, execution style. Lindsey used a second alias to rent an apartment down the hall." Emily explained. JJ held Cassidy's hand, watching as Cassidy's face went visibly pale.

"W- What about Diana?" Cassidy asked, watching as Emily looked up at Penelope who had entered the conference room.

"She's been abducted. They found surveillance photos taken of Spencer before his arrest. Lindsey's been spying on you and him for months." Penelope revealed.

"I can't believe it." Emily shook her head.

"Everything Spencer said was right." Cassidy nodded.

"I didn't want to before, but I have to tell him now, for his own safety." Emily sighed, looking up at Penelope, JJ and Cassidy.

"He'll want to help find her." JJ spoke, concerned.

"That's what I'm afraid of, and he can't. This could be what pushes him over the edge. I'm going to the prison. Reid deserves to know everything." Emily explained her concern and worry.

———
(Federal Prison, Interview Room)

Emily had just told Spencer everything they had discovered. Spencer shook his head, almost tempted to punch something or get angry.

"I'm so sorry, Spencer. We will find her, I promise. We'll find her, okay?" Emily exhaled, feeling extremely bad for Spencer. She knew that he would've wanted to help, but knowing that he couldn't do anything to help, she felt horrible.

"Ballistics came back on the gun that was used on Cassie. It's the exact weapon Jack Vaughn used when he was a mob enforcer in Boston." Emily kept talking, watching Spencer. She could see the wheels turning in his head as he tried to keep himself from spiralling out of control.

"Lindsey must have taken it from her father. Maybe she wanted his reputation or she just wanted to make sure her dad knew what she was doing." Spencer exhaled, starting to pace. The further away he was from Emily, the less likely his anger was to get out of control and hurt her.

"The reasons are unimportant. What's important is you were right, and I should have believed you from the start and I didn't." Emily exhaled, shaking her head, but she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion when Spencer stood still.

"Go on, kill him, Daddy!" Lindsey begged as she looked at her dad, who was holding a gun to the man's head, fear all over his face.

"Kill him." Lindsey whispered before a loud gunshot echoed through the bathroom.