42. Babysitting duty

The hospital is where Spencer had been staying for just over a week now. When he finally got permission from his doctor to return home, he was more than happy to leave. Cassidy picked Spencer up and took him back to their shared apartment. Their plan for the evening was simply to eat some dinner made by Cassidy and watch whatever movie they'd enjoy. Cassidy had gotten dinner ready. All that was left was for the movie to be picked and put on. Unfortunately for them, their night was side-tracked the moment Cassidy heard a knock on the front door.

Standing up, she handed Spencer his un-burnt piece of lasagne before looking through the peephole, confused to see Hotch standing outside.

"Hotch? Is everything okay?" Cassidy asked as he entered the apartment, Jack following behind him.

"Strauss has requested that I come in for a two day investigation. She has finally gotten around to dealing with our...familial relationship, and Jessica is away for work. So, considering we don't have a case to deal with, I have enlisted you as Jack's babysitter." Hotch handed her Jack's backpack.

"Oh, okay." Cassidy nodded, Hotch handing her one final bag.

"I'll be back here to pick up Jack in two days." Hotch explained before leaving the apartment.

"Looks like we're on babysitting duty." Spencer laughed.

"Uncle Spencer!" Jack ran up and gave Spencer a large hug, a hug that Spencer happily reciprocated.

"How about...you two settle and watch a movie while I get Jack some dinner?" Cassidy suggested as Spencer nodded, lifting Jack off the floor and into a hug.

Soon after, Cassidy could hear the sound of one of the many Star Wars movies playing, Spencer basically begging Jack to watch it.

"Jack, I promise you that Star Wars is the best movie ever!" Spencer smiled as he put the disk into the player.

"I prefer Spider-Man." Jack chuckled.

"How about, we watch my movie first, then, if Cassidy says yes, we can watch Spider-Man?" Spencer negotiated, Jack nodding. He leaned over the couch and stared at Cassidy, who was putting a few spoon fulls of Mac and Cheese into a bowl.

"If it's not too late before Star Wars ends, we can watch Spider-Man. If it's late, we can watch it tomorrow." Cassidy smiled, handing the bowl to Jack, who happily accepted it.

———

By 10:25 PM, Star Wars was over, and Cassidy knew for a fact, that Jack would be asleep. Seeing that her cousin had indeed fallen asleep, she nudged Spencer, quietly asking him to grab a spare blanket and pillow. He nodded, leaving the room for a few minutes. While Spencer was getting what she needed, Cassidy got Jack changed into something more comfortable and moved him slightly, so that his legs and upper torso were on the couch. Spencer soon returned with the pillow and blanket.

She placed the pillow underneath his head and gently draped the blanket over his small body. She placed a small kiss on his forehead and watched as he remained sound sleep.

Spencer watched her from a few feet away, seeing how gentle and caring she was toward her cousin. It truly made him wonder and even imagine what she would be like as a mother, and the thought made him smile. He could just imagine Cassidy tucking in her son or daughter after a long day, reading them a bedtime story while her child stared up at the ceiling, slowly but surely falling asleep. Without warning, his thoughts went from Cassidy having her children, to them both being parents. He could vividly imagine Cassidy tucking their children into bed while he got a bottle of water ready for them.

Spencer's sudden thoughts turned into a desperate desire to be a father. He wanted so badly to be a father, and for Cassidy to be the mother of his children. He now wanted a family, with Cassidy by his side.

"Spencer. You alright?" Cassidy looked at Spencer, who blinked a few times.

"What? Oh, yeah. I'm fine. Just trapped in my own thoughts." Spencer smiled, placing a kiss on Cassidy's forehead.

"Like always." Cassidy chuckled, trying to be quiet.

"I'm guessing neither of us wants to do dishes?" Spencer questioned, Cassidy nodding.

"We can ignore them for tonight. I'm happy to do them if you're okay with getting breakfast sorted?" Cassidy looked up at Spencer, who nodded, agreeing.

"That sounds fair. And with Jack around, we can make it more interesting by watching Spider-Man." Spencer smiled.

"Sounds like a plan." Cassidy smiled back.

"Shall we head to bed, Agent Marlow?" Spencer asked and he and Cassidy got changed and ready for bed.

"We shall, Dr. Reid." Cassidy nodded.