61. Cognitive

Just over a month had passed since Spencer was arrested in Mexico and now that Spencer's case was actually going to trial, the team needed as much backup as possible. So, Emily called in a favour.

"Team, I'd like to introduce you to Dr. Tara Lewis. She is an FBI Forensic Psychologist and she'll be with us to help the process of Reid's case." Emily and Tara stood up in front of the team.

"Tara, this is Agent Derek Morgan, Technical Analyst Penelope Garcia, Agent David Rossi, Agent Jennifer Jareau and Agent Cassidy Marlow." Emily introduced the team to Tara.

"You must be Spencer's fiancée. I've read his file." Tara shook Cassidy's hand.

"Yes, I am." She nodded.

3 hours later, when the team had gone off to do their own tasks not only for Spencer's case, but also for their paperwork. Tara walked up the steps to Emily's office, knocking on the door.

"Hey, you wanted to see me?" Tara asked, opening the door.

"Tara, come on in." Emily smiled, gesturing for Tara to walk in.

"Uh, what's up?" Tara questioned, sitting down across from Emily.

"I need you to go to the prison tomorrow and conduct another cognitive interview on Reid." Emily asked before she checked her phone, her eyes widening.

She and Emily quickly ran to the conference room, seeing the team sitting at the round table.

"Mr. Scratch." She gasped.

"Where?" JJ's eyebrows raised, confused.

"Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Last week. A former associate of Stephen Walker's down there on business recognized him." Emily almost dropped her phone.

"I...this is huge. This puts Scratch in Latin America." Penelope quietly cheered.

"And increases the likelihood he passed through Mexico at some point." Tara added.

"That's why this cognitive is so imperative. It is critical that Reid remember exactly what happened in that motel room in Mexico." Emily explained.

"Can I play devil's advocate here for a second?" Derek asked.

"Absolutely." Emily nodded.

"Let's say the cognitive works, all right, and Reid puts Scratch in that motel room, 100%, no doubt about it. What changes? I mean, isn't he just another prisoner proclaiming his innocence?" Derek questioned.

"Tell her your idea." Tara smiled at Emily.

"What changes is I can then petition the DOJ and the counter-terrorism center to put Scratch on a high-priority watch list." Emily explained more.

"How?" Rossi asked.

"By massaging the definition of international terrorist. Now, that photo proves that Scratch is crossing borders from one country to another. And we already know he's targeting the FBI." Emily nodded.

"I don't know, it sounds like a hard sell." Derek shook his head.

"Well, I talked to one of my contacts at the NSA and she said they would be on board if we give them something tangible on Scratch." Emily smiled.

"I'll give it my best shot with Reid." Tara nodded, determined.

———
(The Next Morning, Federal Prison, Interview Room)

"You can conduct your interview in here, Dr. Lewis. It's secure." The guard opened the interview room door, revealing Spencer.

"Thank you." Tara smiled, letting the guard leave.