27. Ultimate "betrayal"

Within 30 minutes, Emily, Hotch, Morgan and Rossi were pulling up to the Hankel residence with a bunch of police cars. They searched the entire property, coming across the barn. Walking inside, they cautiously used their flashlights to see what was happening. Morgan looked away when he saw a pile of blood and guts on what seemed to be a pillow for dogs.

"Damn." Morgan groaned before he, Emily, and the Chief heard movement.

"FBI!" JJ yelled, holding up her gun. She looked disoriented and her hair was a mess. Spencer was in the same condition.

"JJ!" Morgan called out, his flashlight shining on JJ.

"Spencer!" Emily yelled.

"Don't move!" JJ and Spencer armed themselves, still convinced that they were in danger.

"JJ, Spencer. It's Morgan and Prentiss. Don't shoot!" Morgan yelled as he watched both JJ and Spencer lower their guns.

"It's okay." Emily cooed, walking over to the two of them. The pair hugged JJ and Spencer, both of whom looked really unsure.

"Are you hurt?" Morgan asked, concerned.

"Tobias Hankel is the unsub." JJ's voice cracked as she put her gun away.

"Yeah, we know." Morgan exhaled.

"I'm calling an ambulance." The Chief spoke as Morgan nodded.

"We just thought he was a witness." Spencer admitted, shaking. Emily held him, clearly concerned.

"We had to kill them." JJ pointed to the dead dogs strewn around the barn, a tear slipping down her cheek.

"JJ. Spencer. Where's Cassidy?" Emily asked, worried, not knowing if Hotch or Rossi had found her.

"They just completely tore her apart. There's nothing even left-" Spencer closed his eyes, trying to stop the tears.

"-Spencer, look at me. Look at me. Where's Cassidy?" Morgan held onto Spencer, who was still shaking.

"We split up. She said she was going to go in the back." Spencer admitted as Morgan worriedly looked at Emily, JJ, and Spencer before running out of the barn.

After 15 minutes, the team was outside the barn, both JJ and Spencer being checked for any injuries on the back of an ambulance.

"You can't find Cassidy?" Spencer couldn't stop shaking. He wasn't so much affected by what had happened hours prior, but he was affected by the fact that no one could find his girlfriend.

"Not yet." Emily shook her head.

"Prentiss." Morgan got Emily's attention. She walked over to Morgan, who exhaled.

"I think Cassidy followed him into the cornfield. It looks like somebody got dragged." Morgan admitted as Emily looked away in shock and concern.

"Yeah. You sure? We're on our way now." The Chief spoke into his phone, catching Morgan and Emily's attention.

"Hey, what's going on?" Morgan asked, confused.

"The sheriff 2 towns over. He just gave directions to a man who fit Hankel's description. It's to a motor lodge in Fort Bend." The Chief explained.

"Let's get Hotch and Rossi." Emily nodded.

———

CASSIDY
I could feel my consciousness slowly coming back. I could feel my head moving. My eyes slowly opened. I looked directly up to see a lightbulb that was turned on. It hurt my eyes a little bit. I could feel the handcuffs on my wrists as I sat in a very uncomfortable chair.