79. Bye-bye Joanne

The last thing Cassidy and Spencer wanted was for them to live in an apartment that has seemed to cause so much pain for them. So, after the most recent string of events, Cassidy and Spencer opted to buy a proper home. This home would not only be a fresh start with no prior tragedy, but it would also be good, considering in just under 5 months, they would be welcoming their son Gideon into the world.

So, the moment they had any free time, they looked for houses. There were quite a few and after a few hours and a little help from the team, they had 2 houses that they were going to look into.

CASSIDY
Spencer and I decided that he'd go on whatever case the BAU would be assigned next, while I'd stay back and keep and eye on the two houses that we were interested in looking at.

At 8 AM on Tuesday morning, Spencer and I walked into the BAU office. I wore comfortable - yet work appropriate pants and a loose fitting shirt that still looked appropriate for work, but also allowed my larger baby bump to breathe.

The last thing I wanted was for a tight fitting shirt to cause unwanted pain. The shirt also didn't really hide my bump. It was loose enough to allow for comfort, but tight enough that my bump was still very visible, so it wasn't a surprise that I often caught Spencer staring at it, a huge smile on his face.

"Work, Dr. Reid. Now's not the time to be staring at your pregnant wife's baby bump." I giggled, watching as he rolled his eyes and turned to face the pile of case files on his desk.

The moment I tried to get some work done, I instantly felt uncomfortable. My stomach tightened and I could feel my heart start racing.

"Agent Reid? You've got a visitor." Agent Anderson announced as I stood up, confused. I turned around to see her walking into the BAU bullpen, a visitors tag attached to her very expensive bag.

"Cassidy! You're here!" I heard her say my name.

"Is that...Joanne?" Spencer stood up, seeing the shock and slight fear on my face.

"Yes." I muttered. All I wanted to do was leave. I wanted to escape this very uncomfortable situation before I got any more anxious.

I walked up to the conference room, Spencer following me. Anderson led Joanne up with us.

The moment the conference room doors shut, I locked them and shut the blinds, intending to prevent our team from seeing what was happening.

"How the hell did you find me?" I growled at her.

"With a quick search of your name, most of your FBI file was available for me to look at. It also helped that there was only one FBI Academy in Virginia." Joanne smiled.

"Just because you know where I work, doesn't mean you can just show up here! There's a reason why I haven't attempted to contact you!" I rolled my eyes and exhaled.

"Look, Cassidy. As much as you hate to admit it, I'm your mother. I wasn't there for you when you were growing up, but I want to be here for you now. I want to make up for lost time." She begged.

"You'd be making up for nearly 28 years of my life, Joanne! Besides, you don't get to just swoop in and be my mother. You lost that privilege the day you signed me away to my father. At least he tried to be there for me." I yelled.

"That's not-" Before she continued, she went silent. Her mouth remained open, but she had a look of shock on her face.

"You're pregnant?" She looked between me and my baby bump.

Goddamn it!

"Yes, I am." I crossed my arms.

"Is the baby a boy or a girl?" She asked. The moment the words exited her mouth, I knew it was time for her to leave.

"Nope. No. I am not telling you anything." I rejected her question.

"Spencer, what's the gender of your baby?" She ignored me and went straight to asking Spencer, which angered me.

"It's Dr. Reid to you." I stepped in, shaking my head.

"My wife and I don't feel comfortable with you knowing our baby's gender." Spencer exhaled.

"Please, Cassidy! It's my grandchild! I think I deserve to know whether or not I'll have a granddaughter or grandson!" Joanne begged.

"No, you don't! I don't consider you to be my mother, which means I don't consider you to be the grandmother of our child! As far as Spencer and I are concerned, our child has two grandparents, my father and Spencer's mother." I yelled, feeling all of my emotions erupt like a volcano.

"Now please, get out! Or I'll have you thrown out!" I demanded.

"You don't mean that, Cassie." Joanne smiled, placing her hand on my shoulder, obviously trying - but failing - to comfort me.

"Don't touch me, don't call me Cassie and don't ever try to contact or see me and Spencer again." I glared at her, watching as Spencer hastily unlocked both conference room doors, beckoning Anderson to come up.

"Anderson, please escort Ms. Walten out of the building." Spencer politely asked, Anderson nodding.

Within minutes, Joanne was being escorted out of the conference room and bullpen, toward the elevator.

"What was that all about?" Derek asked, concerned.

"That was Joanne Walten. She claims to be and has proof that she's my mother." I explained everything about the situation with Joanne to Derek, who was shocked.

"Damn. That's one hell of a story." He chuckled. I quickly glared at him, which convinced him to shut up.