51. Questions

CASSIDY
With the yearly review coming up, we all knew what was coming. Strauss would be asking questions. Knowing her, we all understood that if she sensed even the smallest lie or breach in protocol, our yearly review would turn into an investigation, and none of us wanted that.

So, we all made sure that nothing could spark her distrust.

———

When Spencer and I were called in to work at 8:45 AM, we both got there as soon as possible, Hotch apparently needing to talk to us about something.

"Good morning team. As you know, Strauss will be conducting the FBI's usual yearly review. This means that if and when she calls for you, you must stop what you're doing and attend the interview. Whether you're in a meeting with me, or working on a case in the conference room, if you get called, you go." Hotch explained, everyone nodding.

"So, what time will we be meeting with her?" Morgan asked, Hotch exhaling.

"That's the thing. I wanted to warn you that unlike previous years, there is no set time for each of you to meet with her." Hotch warned, everyone looking at him with confusion.

"What are you saying Hotch?" JJ questioned.

"It's Strauss' choice. She chooses who goes when. It's completely randomised." Hotch sat down.

"Shit." Emily cursed, rolling her eyes.

"Agent Morgan." The conference room door opened to reveal Strauss, who was clearly eager to start the interviews.

"Wish me luck." Morgan chuckled as he followed Strauss out of the BAU bullpen.

"Okay. As for the rest of us, it's paperwork time. If there is a case, I'll let you guys know." Hotch nodded before we all stood up and left the conference room, heading to our desks.

Everyone could tell that Rossi and Hotch were the most nervous about the yearly review. They didn't want Strauss turning their yearly review into an investigation for any reason. From what I understood, Rossi and Hotch's reasons were quite different. Rossi was sick and tired of Strauss and the whole Bureau trying to split apart the team, whereas Hotch didn't want his or any of our jobs to be on the line.

One by one, each member of the team was interviewed by Strauss. First was Morgan, then JJ, then Penelope, then Hotch, then Emily, then Rossi. It was either going to be me or Spencer next. Spencer heard his name exit Strauss' mouth. He silently groaned and stood up, following Strauss for his interview.

20 minutes. 35 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 10 minutes. By the time an hour and 15 minutes had passed, Spencer was just walking back into the BAU bullpen, running his long fingers through his unwashed hair.

"What the hell happened in there, kid? Each of our interviews took 25 minutes. 30 tops." Morgan leaned back in his chair, confused.

"Oh, you know, the usual. Questions. The occasional agent interrupting." Spencer shrugged his shoulders.

"Only you left, Cassidy. You excited?" JJ smiled.

"Not in the slightest." I rolled my eyes, groaning.

I waited. I waited to hear my name exit Strauss' mouth. I waited to hear her heels click against the floor. As time went by, I assumed that maybe she had been carried away with other business and forgot about interviewing me, but I was wrong.