73. Hired for information

CASSIDY
Over 2 days, we had discovered the common theme between all the victims. Once a week, on different days, each couple would go to a particular restaurant for the couples deal that started from 8 PM. From there, we had come up with a solid profile, which we then gave to the police.

"This restaurant, The Cassenova, is very popular due to its couples deal that starts at 8 PM every night. Basically, all meals on the main menu are half price for couples." Penelope explained, typing away at her computer while she spoke with us over the phone.

"I'd say a bit unrealistic, but sure. How far away is this restaurant from the victim's houses?" Tara asked, intrigued.

"Each house is half a mile away." Penelope revealed.

"Okay, so the unsub might work at this restaurant. Baby girl, can you please give us a list of every single employee that works at The Cassenova, please?" Derek asked, hearing a chuckle from Penelope.

"You'll have it in a flash, my chocolate thunder. PG, out!" Penelope chuckled before the line went dead, signalling to us that the call had ended.

"With the list of employees on the way, we need to identify the possible trigger or stressor for this unsub. Why did this unsub choose these victims? And why did the unsub choose this 8 PM timeframe?" Emily exhaled.

"Guys, maybe we're looking at an unsub who might've experienced a loss due to a stalker? That could explain why they choose to stalk their victims before eventually killing them. It also could explain why there isn't any planning. They just stalk and then kill without any strategy." JJ looked at each of us, having come up with a reasonable stressor.

"Okay. We have the possible stressor, but that leaves the trigger. Keep working on it. Once Garcia comes back to us with the list of employees, we can hopefully find the trigger." Emily nodded.

Tara and Matt went back to looking at the board that we had set up, Derek and JJ had gone to talk to some officers, and Emily had stood up, answering a call on her phone.

2 moments later, she called me and Spencer into a more private room and put her phone on the table, putting the call on speaker.

"You're on speaker, Garcia." Emily informed.

"Okay. 2 things. Firstly, the list of employees is nearly finished so that'll be on it's way." Penelope exhaled.

"Now onto the actual reason why I was calling. I did a little digging into Cassidy's feeling of being followed and my gosh, Cassidy, you were right. Security cameras at the private airport in Quantico picked up an unrecognised car. Unfortunately, the car was a rental, but I managed to find out who purchased the rental car. Her name is Stephanie Cooper and she is a Private Investigator." Penelope revealed, confusing all three of us.

"A P.I.? Why would someone hire a P.I. to follow Cassidy?" Spencer asked, concerned.

"I'm not quite sure yet. I have the name of the person who hired her. As for who this person is and why they hired her, I'm still looking into that." Penelope spoke.

"What's the person's name?" I asked, confused.

"Her name is Joanne Walten." Penelope revealed.

"Thank you Penelope. Keep us updated." Emily nodded before ending the call.

"Okay. Now that we know someone is watching you, I want you to remain here at the station. We don't know why they've been hired by this Joanne Walten woman. For all we know, she might have hired Stephanie for harmful purposes. And please, Cassidy, don't try to contact Stephanie." Emily pleaded, exhaled.

"I won't." I nodded.

Emily left the room, leaving me and Spencer alone. I sat on a nearby chair, now feeling a wave of nausea. I managed to keep it down, but my nerves and anxiety were starting to get worse. I was nervous about someone watching and following me. I was anxious about their reasoning for hiring a Private Investigator.

I grabbed my phone and clicked on Penelope's number.

"Hello my girl genius. What can I do for you?" Penelope asked.

"I want Stephanie's number, please." I requested, Spencer shaking his head.

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Cassidy?" Penelope asked.

"Please, Penelope." I pleaded, hearing her exhale on the other end of the call.

"Sure." I could imagine her smiling slightly.

"Thanks Penelope." I smiled, nodding. I ended the call and looked down at my texts to see that Penelope had sent me Stephanie's number.

"Cassidy, honey, you heard what Emily pleaded, right?" Spencer exhaled.

"Yes, I did, Spencer. But I can't just sit around waiting for Penelope to figure out why Joanne Walten had hired Stephanie Cooper." I shook my head.

Clicking on the number, I typed a message, basically asking Stephanie to meet me. What I didn't expect was for her to reply so fast, possibly shocked that I had figured out who she was and why she was following me. She was right about one thing. I knew who she was and what she did for a living.